VFP core. Can we buy it out?

Topics: General
Jan 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Hi there all of you!

I'm conserned about the VFPx future in the long run, because MS will not give all of the VFP core to Codeplex. Among other things my consern is focused on when the windows platform leaves the 64-bit level.

What if all VFP fans in the world, people and companies, raised a fund with the purpose of bying out the core from Microsoft? This could sum up to a considerable amount of money that Microsoft cannot resist?!

Arvid Karlsen

dB Kompetanse AS, Norway

Developer
Jan 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM

"raised a fund with the purpose of bying out the core from Microsoft?"

That's cute.

Developer
Jan 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Many VFP developers never even bought VFP9. What makes you think anyone will pony up money to buy it now. It's way too late. The numbers are WAY too small.

You may have some interest in the eTecnologia effort to make VFP a .Net-like language that will run on the .Net runtime files.  They are close and have a working beta, but yet they are also so far from finishing. It uses the .Net Dynamic Language Runtime (DLR) to handle all Foxpro commands and convert them to .Net base library commands, so the dependency on the VFP runtime files is gone!  I have played with it and it looks promising. A totally new IDE and compiler that makes .Net Exe files that run on the .Net runtimes and all from native VFP code. Wow!

Someone kind of close close to the project (Hank Fay) claims they have a big marketing campaign in the works, but would not disclose details.

Check it out... http://www.etecnologia.net/

Developer
Jan 6, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Regarding the eTecnologia effort I mentioned earlier, you may also find this free issue of FoxRockx of interest. Here is a link to the PDF issue that was in a message I receved from the author:

"Any day now you will most likely receive an email from Hentzenwerke (Whil Hentzen) that the new FoxRockX special edition is out.

This issue is all about the NetCompiler. The best thing, this issue is for free.

For those of you who cannot wait till you receive that mail, start reading here.

http://www.lutgerink-esa.nl/downloads/foxRockX200912.pdf "

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Arvid,

Microsoft has repeatedly said that it will not part with the core FoxPro code because it has competitive advantages it has leveraged in other technologies like SQL Server, Access, and .NET.

They were nice enough to make it so we can extended it as needed in so many ways.

I doubt they want another entity kicking their butts with their own superior technology. {g}

Rick

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Thats, True,

MS can never ever think of sharing anything of core VFP,

As many core part are used to build JETDB which is used in MS ACCESS, MS Exchange and outlook and so on...

So, thats not giong to work in any way.

And other fact is truth, that vfp developer never purchase vfp9 unless and untill it was needed,

Still in India we find many FoxPro application running on FoxPro for DOS and VFP6!

And on other hand it have been 10 years, that collages and institutes stopped teaching FoxPro..

So, now there is no new generation, who knows FoxPro....

And even when we demo FoxPro to them! They get Amazed and say, Hope that much power was available in .NET...

Then we must have saved hours of work to get this simplething! which can be done in FoxPro in most easyway!

Anyways, We are (OLD buddys) are missing power of .NET (that really does not impact, too much in real, yes only marketablity reduced by 10% in small scale industry and 90% in enterprise level development), But on otherhand .NETers are missing the FoxPro way of doing the things...

Loss is on both side!

The looser is developer!!!