This project is read-only.

Another FoxChart Mystery

Topics: General
Dec 8, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Following up on my other post about FoxChart speed....

Using the exact same cursor for all cases, if I launch with a bar chart is loads instantaneously. If I switch the field axis to another column in the cursor, no problems, instantaneous drawing. If I then switch the chart type to a pie, all other parameters the same, and there are 10 or so slices, it drags (maybe 4 or 5 seconds... running outside of the VFP IDE). And here's the kicker. If I switch the type back to a bar chart, it drags just the same (maybe slightly longer). The same bar chart the loaded instantaneously before. Switching between a bar chart and a pie chart (back and forth), it's really slow. Just switching the field axis and staying with the bar chart type, it's instantaneous.

How can a bar chart load instantaneously on boot, then take 6 seconds to draw after a pie chart was drawn?

Thanks for anyone help.

Bill

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM

ok... a solution...

If I remove the foxchart object and re-add before each draw, then that eliminates the switching problem. IOW, I figured if it's fast on boot, then why not recreate the boot situation and see what happens. And it worked. So there is something going on when you update an existing chart. But for now, if you just remove the chart and re-add, then it "clears" things out.... starting fresh seems to work.

Bill

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I wish you hadn't fractured this thread from the original as this is dealing with the same basic problem. I've posted a few questions/suggestions to you on the original FoxCharts Slow thread. If it's all the same to you, let's continue this discussion over in that thread. Thank you.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Bill,

Some questions...

Are you using VFP9 SP2 ?

Does that behavior happen in all machines, or just in a specific machine ? If that happens in all machines, could you please simply genarate an EXE from the FoxCharts project, and run on those machines, and reproduce the tests, switching from Pies/Doughnuts to Bar chart types ?

Please test with the project that I send with the FoxCharts Release, that's really super easy, just generate the EXE, and run it in at least 2 machines, and tell me what you get.