This project is read-only.

PEM Editor 4.10 HowTo change description of customProperty

Aug 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Hi,

I would like to change the Description of myProperty. However both the Editbox remains. and the Remove button remain enabled = .f.  What action is required to make them enabled?
Since it was only the description and no functionality I tried to edit with aid of the Rightclick Shortcut menu option "List of PEM's and description" and was presented with an Editbox which shows all the descriptions which allows you to edit any description, however it seems it does not have any effect.

How to change?

Regards,

Koen

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Make sure the property you are trying to change is a CUSTOM property in the form or class, and not an INHERITED or NATIVE property. You can tell by looking at the ORIGIN column in the grid.

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:08 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Hi,

Very good catch!

I was on the wrong track since the overall window allowed me to edit. Am I correct that this changement is not saved anywhere?

Regards,

Koen

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Koen – I don’t understand this question: “Am I correct that this changement is saved anywhere?

All I can say is, if PEM Editor allows you to make an edit to anything in the window, it *WILL* be saved. It is VERY reliable in this issue. I have never seen it fail.

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Matt,

you even replied before I could correct my question! I have now inserted a NOT - sorry

Please check:

select any property and from the shortcutMenu select the option List of PEMs and descriptions.

make a changement.

You will be prompted for saving on exit of the form.

Answer with yes.

My question where is this saved?

When I restart and open the same editwindow cant find the changement.

So I believe, the changements are NOT saved, am I correct or did I look at the wrong place?

Regards,

Koen

Koen

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Koen --

The "listings" are listings only -- that is not an edit box you are looking at, rather a file which you can edit and save somewhere (for other uses).

None of the listings change any properties.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Jim,

Thanks for confirming, I was wrongly orientated due to a message box, when closing this edit, prompting me to save  yes or no the changements. I saved, and could not locate a MyClass.PemList on my pc,

Where would you expect it to be saved?

Regards,

Koen

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Koen --

If you want to save it, click on the File menu and select "Save As"  ... you can then save it wherever you want, with any name you want.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Jim,

Correct and understood.

You could consider in your next version to change the logic in the messagebox which is prompting you for yes/no saving, when you select for yes not to close the messagebox and not to exit the file without any savings but allowing the users to do what they had opted for: 'save the file'.  An other option would also be to save it to clipboard maybe? But do inform what you have opted for please.

Koen

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Koen --

I don't generate that prompt.  All I do is to create a file and execute   "Modify Command" ... that's all.  The prompt comes from VFP if you've modified it.  Tis up to you to know what to do with it.

If you want to save to the clipboard  Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C works just ine.

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:07 PM
Edited Aug 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Jim,

OK understand now.

That's also the reason why my CodeRefence could not locate this "Do you want to save" etc. message.

Thanks for explaining.

Maybe than, since you , are not realy suppose to edit this file anyway, to add "noedit"  to your "Modify command"?  This will not show you the prompt anymore and you can still save with menu file->saveas or Ctrl-C to Clipboard?

Regards,

Koen

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Yes, of course, NoEdit should have been there anyway.  I'll include that in the next release.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Jim,

May I than also option for a changement of the cmdApplyAndAdd caption and vizualize it to the function its state is in? viz "Add" or "Save". I have 'troubles'  clicking a button to save something with a caption "Add"

Regards,

Koen

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Koen --

We'll make that part of the next release as well.

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Jim,

very good.

Regards,

Koen