PEM Editor version 4 installation

Topics: Bug Information
Jul 6, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Hi,

I have previous version of PEM installed and now when installing version 4 : "Alias name is already in use" seems something wrong.

How to solve?

Koen

Developer
Jul 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Please try shutting down VFP and then re-launch it. Then, run the PEM Editor install before running any instance of PEM Editor.

By the way, what VFP version are you running?

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Hi Matt,

I am running VFPSP2 and shutting down my pc restarting: no solution. What;s even worse: Error: Unknown member OPEMS and FoxPro Builders form giving information: Programm addtopemlist  Line: (0)...

think I shall have to reinstall VFP inclusive SP2 :) :) :)  @##@@%@@!

Regards,

Koen

P.S. I was very happy with PEM Editor in the previous version.

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Koen --

A few questions:

(1)  When / where are you getting the message "Alias name already in use"?  Is this occurring when you are installing PEM Editor, or when you are using it?  When it occurs, can you determine the name of the program / method with the error and the line number?

(2)  You have also indicated a problem with FoxPro Builders.  I'd like to know more about this -- are you getting the error there after installing PEM Editor, after using it, or what?

Any more information you can give about the steps you have taken would be most helpful.

As you can imagine, it's difficult to learn how to correct a problem occurring on your machine which we can not replicate ourselves.

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Hi Jim.

1. After installing The PEM in my folder C:\microsoft VisualFoxPro9\PemEditor4  I started VFP and choose in the MainMenu Programs->Run, navigated to PemEditor4 and choose the PemEditor.app than "Alias name is already in use"
  2. Made a notice her is this forum and followed Matts' advice:
  3. Shut down restarted my pc and followed the instructions from Matt than I was faced with a Wait Windo in the upper right corner showing Erro:Unknown member OPEMS etcetera plus an information window "FoxPro Builders"  informing about addtopemlist and line: (0)...

Now I first tried to have my VFP to be repaired via Start-ControlPanel (hoping this would not require a complete VFP install plus SP2, however no luck. VFP is requiring the installation CD, since this will surely mean I will also loose SP2, I have closed this laptop for the time being aftger copying some outstanding files to my desktop and will continue this drama on my laptop tomorrow, by that time I will not feel so sick anymore.

Best regards,

Koen

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2009 at 10:40 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Koen --

First of all, my apologies -- this must be terrible, and I'm sorry that PEM Editor is involved.

I can now duplicate the error "Alias name is already in use" in the installation program (PEMEditor.APP).  There is only one "USE" statement in the APP, so I'm quite certain I'm getting the same bug as you.

Now -- this bug happens before the APP as done anything -- it is trying to open the FoxCode file (so it can modify it), and since it can't get past the USE statement, it really has done nothing.  (BTW -- I expect to have a correction for this very soon, not that it helps your situation any).

So, I am at a complete loss as to how that could have affected anything at all -- let alone whatever 'FoxPro Builders' is.  It certainly is not part of PEM Editor (neither is 'addtopemlist'). -- I've never heard of either of them.

I could find precious little information in the UT about "FoxPro Builders" -- this looks like it might be the most relevant (from Doug Hennig):

Hi Bruno.

>I need to edit the referential integrity of my database.
>Once I select "edit referential integrity" from the database menu, I get the following error message...
>
>FoxPro Builders
>Record is out of range
>Program: load
>Line: (0) USE

I don't think this is a problem with your database -- it looks to me like a problem with the VFP Builders table. USE HOME() + 'WIZARDS\BUILDER' EXCLUSIVE and REINDEX.

Doug

Perhaps Doug's suggestion could be of help ... if the problem were only with that table, and you were unable to open VFP to correct the problem, perhaps we could send it to you.

Am unclear why that would be invoked, however, or what PEM Editor had to do with the problem.  Do you have things which autostart when you load VFP that could be temporarily disabled?

Jim

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Jim Hi,

Never mind, it can happen just lucky I encountered this before lots of other people. I am now under reconstructing my laptop. Would you be able to post the old PEM editor again, I loved the thing and for the time being I am not going to reinstall version 4.

My VFPstart file does load a lot a bunch of things, if you are interested I could mail you my file.

FoxProBuilders - error : sorry I can't investigate anymore, laptop - as far as VFP concerned :  a mess

Regards,

Koen

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Jim, Hi

Never mind about version 3, I still have a backup.

Regards,

Koen

Developer
Jul 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Yes, Koen, please paste the contents of your VFPStart to this discussion thread, or you can contact me uder the People tab at the top of this CodePlex page, and then click my name under the Developers list. There is then a link on the left of the page for Contact, and that will come to me by e-mail.  We can review your startup and see if we can learn anything.

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Hi,

I have a question about Pem Editor.

Could it be possible to speed up the time left-up combo will load the objects tree ?

It takes too much to load and when you are using it frequently it is time consuming.

I don't know how was implemented, but if it must find a solution that will work faster.

Camil Ghircoias

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Camil --

Significant effort has already been invested to optimize the time spent in creating the drop-down TreeView when you are showing methods.

The main effect of the optimization is seen in the second and subsequent times that the TreeView is invoked in one editing session.  What is happening is that it caches information about each distinct class (not class library) that it encounters.  If you have a lot of different classes on a form with hundreds objects, it can be quite slow on the first pass --- but, in some cases at least, it is still faster than Document View if you're using MemberData.

For moderate sized forms, it is indeed slow the first time you bring it up, but fast on subsequent calls.

As it happens, the main bottleneck in this operation is the need to use AMEMBERS, which, as it turns out, is quite a pig.  It is necessary because there is no other way to ascertain what methods and events an object has.

Jim Nelson

Project Manager

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Camil --

Significant effort has already been invested to optimize the time spent in creating the drop-down TreeView when you are showing methods.

The main effect of the optimization is seen in the second and subsequent times that the TreeView is invoked in one editing session.  What is happening is that it caches information about each distinct class (not class library) that it encounters.  If you have a lot of different classes on a form with hundreds objects, it can be quite slow on the first pass --- but, in some cases at least, it is still faster than Document View if you're using MemberData.

For moderate sized forms, it is indeed slow the first time you bring it up, but fast on subsequent calls.

As it happens, the main bottleneck in this operation is the need to use AMEMBERS, which, as it turns out, is quite a pig.  It is necessary because there is no other way to ascertain what methods and events an object has.

Important note:  it you turn off the 'Show Methods' flag, you'll find that the response time is very good, and no optimization is necessary.  It is only when you want the treeview to display methods that you can see the performance degradation

Jim Nelson

Project Manager

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the answer, as for your foxite question(about the bug on formset), Yes I used a formset based on a formset class.

Camil

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Camil --

Can you tell me the error that you're getting and the method and line number where it occurs?

Thanks

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Hi, sorry for the delay.

The error is "Parent is not an object"

It is a formset based on a formset class

Try this:

create a class xxx based on a formset

add in the class a new form so you will have 2 forms into the formset class

create a formset based on this formset class (go to tools,options,forms,formset templates and choose xxx class)

now into the new formset created go to edit property method menu and click the up -tree combo. you will get this error.

CAmil

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Camil --

Thanks I will be looking into that formset problem shortly; since I haven't worked with formsets before, your instructions will be invaluable.

BTW, your question about speed with with TreeView w/methods comes up has sparked some thoughts on possible further enhancements.  There's some hope, at least, that when time permits we can achieve some further improvements.

Jim

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the bug fis, it works now.

As for the speed loading it would be very good if it can improve.

For an example on a formset with medium number of controls (including a grid) it takes 3 seconds to load the tree combo.

You have done a realy nice job, success.

Camil

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Camil --

(1)  Glad to hear it now works for formsets, so that you can use it.

(2)  We have a number of different ideas for optimization for the initial loading of the TreeView.  We will pursue them when time permits, so right now we have no estimate of when the improvements might be available.

However, none of these will affect subsequent loadings, which are already optimized.  (Hoping that subseqeunt loadings are sufficiently fast already ...)

Note that the TreeView is only slow if you show methods (the checkbox for 'Document TreeView').  If you un-check this box, and show the controls but not their methods, it is very fast,.

(3)  Thanks for the compliment.

Jim

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Jim I found another bug, maybe you can look at it.

I have a form (not formset) with an  treeview olecontrol on it.

when clicking the combo tree get ole error unknown name

the error appears in line "lcMethodCode = loParent.ReadMethod (lcName)" at loadtree method.

Scan
lcName = Trim (cName)
lcMethodCode = loParent.ReadMethod (lcName)
If Not Empty (lcMethodCode)
lbAnyMethods = .T.
lcKey = 'Node'+Transform(.Nodes.Count)
lcText = lcName

Scan

lcName = Trim (cName)

lbAnyMethods = .T.

lcText = lcName

Camil

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2009 at 12:09 PM
Camil --

Thanks -- that has been reported a few days ago by somebody else.

I will have an update out to you soon (a few days).

Jim
Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 2:47 AM, camilghircoias <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Jim I found another bug, maybe you can look at it.

I have a form (not formset) with an  treeview olecontrol on it.

when clicking the combo tree get ole error unknown name

the error appears in line "lcMethodCode = loParent.ReadMethod (lcName)" at loadtree method.

Scan
lcName = Trim (cName)
lbAnyMethods = .T.
lcText = lcName

Scan

lcName = Trim (cName)

lbAnyMethods = .T.

lcText = lcName

Camil

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com