PROPOSAL FOR CREATING VFP TO VB CONVERSION UTILITY

Topics: Attention VFPX Admins, General, New Project Idea, Press Release
Jan 1, 2009 at 5:19 PM
Greetings and a Happy New Year to all of you!

I would like to entertain the idea of creating a new project for the creation of a utility that could convert as much possible VFP development  into VB,
in order to speed up the migration process.

I would also like to entertain the idea of creating a new software development product which is compatible with VFP.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:36 PM
You mean converting to VB.Net, right?  (Not VB6)
Jan 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Correct, to VB.NET.. What I am suggesting is a utility which can convert the bulk of the VFP OOP code into the proper VB.NET syntax, wherever possible.  Other development products like Genero 4J have a "import" feature
which besides importing SQL table schemas from INFORMIX-4GL, Oracle, etc. also converts the bulk of the Informix 4GL code syntax into Genero 4J.  Any unconvertible code is also imported, but commented out so that the developer can manually modify it.  The reason why I'm proposing this is because although VFP is an xBASE lang and VB is VB,
they are both OOP langs which share a lot of similarities.  I can anticipate that many VFP shops are going to convert to VB.NET and I'm just trying to provide a tool which will speed up the conversion process. 

Frank
San Juan, Puerto Rico