This project is read-only.

FoxcodePlus: new project on VFPX

Topics: New Project Idea, Press Release
Oct 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

A new project called FoxcodePlus has been added to VFPX. The goal of this project is to improve the native Visual FoxPro IntelliSense by including features found in Visual Studio.

Additions include:

1. Incremental IntelliSense for functions, commands
  2. Variables in write-time
  3. Accessing the list of variables in write-time.
  4. Constants in write-time 
  5. Tables in write-time and run-time
  6. Fields in write-time and run-time
  7. Selecting a table with the command "Select" or all commands with the clause "IN"
  8. Windows APIs  in write-time and run-time 
  9. Functions and Procedures in write-time
  10. Classes in write-time
  11. Properties in write-time
  12. Methods and Events in write-time
  13. Summary Tooltip for functions, procedures, methods and events. 
  14. Classes objects in write-time 
  15. WITH...ENDWITH with nesting infinity for any class or instantiated object in write-time and  run-time. 
  16. Objects instantiated in memory.
  17. Incremental Shortcut to controls on the form or class designer. 
  18. New IntelliSense for some commands.
  19. Code snippets.
  20. Error list 

Rodrigo Bruscain is the project manager. More details to come when Rodrigo posts the project code and documentation.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

This project is very interesting. I tried to work with it, but i found a problem.

In various programs it works without problems. Sometimes when you display the dialog INTELLISENCE, cursor moves in the upper left corner of the INTELLISENCE form and marks part of text left of this corner. Next when you press it overwrites the original text and moves cursor again in the upper left corner of the INTELLISENCE form and so forth. Is it possible, that I have something wrong set or is it a bug? Thank you for your answer.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM

This is great. 

I tried it for the first time earlier this week.  Saw the update so tried again w/the latest Beta. 

I did see a problem - try using an object with a lot of properties in the command window - like _screen.visible.  In the command window, it works. 

Then create a new program (or add to a method or any other program entry type of screen).  Enter in the same _screen.visible.  The VFP design environment hangs. 

Same if you use a self created object with a lot of properties.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Hello;

What is the windows version are you using ?

Thanks

Rodrigo

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM
ira_wald wrote:

This is great. 

I tried it for the first time earlier this week.  Saw the update so tried again w/the latest Beta. 

I did see a problem - try using an object with a lot of properties in the command window - like _screen.visible.  In the command window, it works. 

Then create a new program (or add to a method or any other program entry type of screen).  Enter in the same _screen.visible.  The VFP design environment hangs. 

Same if you use a self created object with a lot of properties.

I have tried simulate and everything is ok.
Send me an example.

Thanks

Rodrigo

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Found the problem …

I use several neat tools that help the VFP environment. I have a startup file that starts each of the following:

Taskpane.app
tabbingNavigation.app
runthor.prg

Turns out that FoxCodePlus works great – until Thor is started. Once Thor is running, long lists crash. I tried to increase the stacksize in config.fpw to 64000. Still fails.

For now, I am disabling Thor.  Even though using an i7 processor, the development environment is slightly slower.  I truly like what you did to modernize the IDE. Your tool is very helpful and now that I have found the problem, I will be able to keep using FoxCodePlus.

Reproducing the problem …

Using Windows 7 and Windows 8, fully patched. VFP 9.00.0000.7423. 

From the command window, enter _screen.visible (works).

Enter MODI COMMAND to start a new command window.

Enter _screen.visible -> VFP freezes (with a spinning clock) after ‘_screen.’ (Before you enter visible). Cannot press esc or any other key to get out of this. Need to use task manager to kill the session.

Thanks for developing this tool, and for your obvious care that you wanted to quickly look into any problem.

Ira

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Ira-

I noticed that you said you had a problem with FoxcodePlus when Thor is stated.  Are you using IntellisenseX by Dot (from Thor)?

If so, I would disable IntellisenseX by Dot and try again.

If not, then I cannot imagine how Thor could be involved in the problem. (Thor is passive -- there is no Thor object nor anything else in Thor that would be interacting when you enter something like '_screen.'

Jim

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I have not installed IntellisenseX. 

When Thor is included, Intellisense does not at all look like the images from the IntellisenseX project.  It looks - like Intellisense!

This is not a problem for me.  Since I am able to take advantage of the neat FoxCodePlus - I am using this tool.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Ira --

While the symptom is that you have called Thor, I don't believe that is the real cause. When you run Thor, it does a lot
less than you might imagine -- it creates a few properties in _Screen and assigns the hot keys you have assigned. It
does not create any objects, etc.

What it really sounds like is that the public variable created by FoxcodePlus is getting clobbered. This can happen,
for instance, by Clear All (which Thor does do whenever it installs any updates).

This is a problem with FoxcodePlus that still needs to be resolved. Since it relies on a global object, that object is
blown away whenever a Clear All is done.

However, you manually correct with this:

DO (_startup)

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I get this when VFP loads the last open project. If I remove that startup option it seems fine.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

MHawksworth --

I don't quite understand your message.  

You said "I get this ..."  What is it that you get?

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM
The same issue as the person above that the foxcodeplus environmrnt doesnt load without me doing it manually.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM, jimrnelson <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

MHawksworth --

I don't quite understand your message.

You said "I get this ..." What is it that you get?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:50 AM
hello;

with win xp foxcodePlus Beta 3.13.2 works perfectly , BUT with win 7 it let me write only one letter.

i don't understand this strange behavior.

need help to resolve this probleme.

many thinks in dvance.
Feb 6, 2015 at 4:40 PM
Hi I'm receiving this error everytime I type the equal sign in command window, and the error just won't stop. I have to force close VFP to end the error message.

Microsoft Visual FoxPro
A FoxcodePlus error has occured. Press CTRL+C to copy this error or send the file foxcodeplus.err to the author.

FoxcodePlus version: Beta 3.13.1

OS version: Windows 6.01

Wontop:

Localization: PROCEDURE FOXCODEPLUSMAIN.GETWITHHIERARCHY C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT VISUAL FOXPRO 9\FOXCODEPLUS.APP

Method: getwithhierarchy

Line: 1934

Error message: Subscript is outside defined range.

Error number: 1234