This project is read-only.

New and Edit PropertyMethod Replacement Dialogs

Topics: Attention VFPX Admins
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:12 AM
I'm a little confused about whether I have downloaded the latest version of the Property/Method Dialogs

The main page for this item says that it was lasted edited by Doug Hennig in July this year. 

However, the download says that it was created last November. 

Is this the latest version?  If so, I have to say it's not working very well for me.  (But, I'm planning on making some changes, hopefully to be understood as improvements, that will include getting rid of these anomolies.)

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:04 AM
Edited Oct 22, 2008 at 3:07 AM
From what I can tell, there are two pages for every sub-project on the VFPx Project site.... an Info page, and a Release page (download page).

I think what you are seeing is that the Info page was revised in Jul '08, but the actual Release that is available is still from Dec '07.

For instance, regarding the "Property and Method Replacement" sub-project (that's the official name on the site)...

Here is the Info page: 

And here is the Release page (download page):

There is a link to the Release page on the Info page, but no the other way around.

Oddly, if you go come to the VFPx site, and go straight to the Release page (using the Releases tab) and click on the Property and Method Replacement link, you will go to a very sparse download page that has very little info about what the tool even is, and there are no links to the main info page. It makes you think there is not much to it.

However, if you click on the Property and Method Replacement link right on the home page of the site (under that cure yellow star), you will first go to the Info page, which is very nice, and it has a link to the Release page from there.

It is very confusing to a new user.
Oct 29, 2008 at 5:51 AM
"It is very confusing to a new user."

Coming through loud and clear. I'll see if there is anything that can be done to make this better.
Oct 29, 2008 at 8:03 AM
Edited Oct 29, 2008 at 8:04 AM
Take a look at the "Visit project's home page..." link that I've added to the following release and let me know if that helps at all...

http://www.codeplex.com/VFPX/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=10223

I tried to add a little home image in front of the link, but images don't appear to be supported in Codeplex's release notes. So a hyperlink was the best I could do.

I'm open to any other ideas you guys may have for a way to make this more intuitive or useful.
Oct 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM
Craig --

My main issue here has to do with the dates that appear on the page.  Near the top you have:

Released:    Jan 27 2008
Updated:      Oct 28 2008

and later
Downloads updated Jan 27.

The "Updated" tag and date are the source of the confusion.  Apparently, "Updated" means the last time that this page was modified, not the date of the most recent release.  Maybe instead:

Current Release Date:   Jan 27 2008
This Page Updated:       Oct 28 2008

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:41 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Craig - I think the "Visit project's home page" link should be as high as possible on the page.
Oct 29, 2008 at 4:27 PM
Yes, WAY up ... certainly above release notes, perhaps higher.  It gets lost down there. 

In fact, right under the project name, I think.
Oct 30, 2008 at 12:39 AM
The only portion of the release page that I can put the link into is the Release Notes section. This isn't a decision on my part, it is the way Codeplex does releases. So, I can add it to the top of Release Notes instead of at the bottom. All of that other stuff above the release notes is as it is... including the Released and Updated dates captions. I agree it is far from ideal.

I'll see if I can't make the Project Home Page link a little more prominent even though we're limited in what we can do within the Codeplex framework.