FoxCharts - remove hidden attribute on properties

Topics: Enhancement Request
Jul 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM
FoxCharts has several hidden properties, for example BackStyle and BorderWidth. Having them set to Hidden limits the ability to sub-class the FoxCharts class, since attempts to set those properties results in an error, eg. the two lines in the init() that set the BackStyle and BorderWidth produce an error when using a sub-classed FoxCharts.
I suggest changing those properties back to Public, or least Protected.
Developer
Jul 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM
Hi RajNZ,

Thanks for your feedback.
This will be fixed in the next version, that hopefully will be released in the next week.

The next release will contain several improvements.
5 new types of charts will be available... the code needed to be updated in various places, so I'm counting on your testing !

Thanks !

Cesar
Jul 25, 2008 at 2:31 AM
I look forward to it.  You are designing a terrific system.
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:32 AM
Cesar --

From my perspective, the only properties or methods you need not to hide are those mentioned above (if still referenced?) and 'class' and 'baseclass'. 

If the rest are hidden, then the property sheet is much easier to read.

However, I think that comments from others on this would be most helpful.

BTW, I also suggestion a new property "Version".

Jim
Developer
Aug 12, 2008 at 3:46 AM
Doug Hennig also reported this.
I agree with you about the properties "Class" and "BaseClass"

"Version"will be added as well 
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2008 at 4:12 PM
(1)  I would add ClassLibrary

(2)  Since this topic involves the Property Sheet -- perhaps you should be hiding the properties and methods that you have creating, and only exposing those that we would expect to change.  It would be nice if the Property Sheet only showed what we could expect to modify.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:15 PM
I suggest that the best approach is to leave all properties (or at least the standard ones) as public, for maximum compatibility with existing applications which might want to examine or change those properties.  To reduce the clutter in the property sheet, the _MemberData property can be used to add the chart-related properties to the Favourites tab.
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2008 at 11:16 PM
I both agree with and disagree with RajNZ.

My main issue is to have some simple way to isolate all the properties I'm interested in changing to affect FoxCharts.

As noted, hiding them all doesn't work.  RajNZ's recommendation of making them all Favorites doesn't do so well either, since I already have a lot of properties and methods that appear on my Favorites, so they'll all be merged together on my sheet.  Unless the names all had a common prefix, there'd still be a jumble (albeit a smaller one).

All in all, I guess I lean toward using Favorites. (But would have preferred a common prefix -- a little late in the game, eh?)

Developer
Aug 17, 2008 at 3:33 AM
For the moment, I've turned to "Public" the following properties: BaseClass, Class and ClassLibrary.
Let's see if the problems will stop with this. Otherwise, we'll pass all properties to public.

Thanks a lot for your comments !