Where to store VFPX Standard settings

Topics: General, Attention VFPX Admins
Developer
Mar 9, 2008 at 8:23 PM
In working with VFPX IDE components, I'm finding that some VFP settings are stored in the registry while others are stored in the FOXUSER table and yet others may be stored in another location.

Can we all decide on a standard location/method for storing new / existing user specific settings?

I'm making some changes to the Code Analyst and want to save some user-specific settings but want to ensure that it will be uniform with all other VFPX components.

Some items to consider:
1. Should it be a table? XML?
2. Should it be USER-specific? (I think this is a doh! yes answer) but does that mean store it in the HOME(7) folder?

Thoughts?
Developer
Mar 10, 2008 at 2:28 AM
If it is a setting for the IDE, I say FOXUSER or registry (similar to how VFP handles it) but have a defined tree node in the registry for each VFPX project.

For run time libraries, I don't know...but it would be nice if it was somewhat consistent and projects could share common settings. I would normally say DBF, but XML might be more flexible.
Developer
Mar 10, 2008 at 10:30 AM
Bo,

I was looking at the Code References tool and they primarily use FOXUSER, search for entries with ID = FOXREF and you'll see them there.

The FOXREF engine has some pretty good ways of storing the settings in there but I always worry about corrupted entries - but then if you do mess it up, it should be pretty easy to reset it.

I think I'll take a copy of the foxresource engine from Code Ref and work with that.