This project is read-only.

Explorer based project manager

Topics: New Project Idea
Oct 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Wondering what others think about have an explorer based project manager? I find many times while working on my projects that it would be nice to be able to manage my project based on a folder/directory structure rather than the way the PM does it now.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:50 AM
I would love this. Can you build it?

It would be more like the Visual Studio IDE, and NetBeans IDE, and, well, I could go on and on...

All modern dev environments have this.

On Oct 8, 2010, at 4:58 PM, "tmslayton"<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Wondering what others think about have an explorer based project manager? I find many times while working on my projects that it would be nice to be able to manage my project based on a folder/directory structure rather than the way the PM does it now.

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:28 PM

This is something that has been talked about by a number of people: Craig Bernsten had mentioned he had a project on the go; then Scott and Craig Bailey had a project explorer on the go.

I had started building a basic one at one point - but stopped in favor of these other projects.

The key tool I was always looking for was a "Solution" style similar to Visual Studio - primarily because I was working with VFP frameworks that contained multiple applications. 

I asked in the past if they would share their "alpha" work but no dice. 

tmslayton was looking for an explorer-style so that it would rely on the directory structure - is that something that would work for most projects? If so, how do the PJX files fall into it?

If I open a "solution directory", should it then group everything into the project files that are in the directory or should it simply build a solution file that includes them?

1. Do we identify what files are *not* part of a project and put them somewhere else?

2. What about shared files? How should they appear?

Let's talk about alpha features. 

a) build "solution" (all projects in folder)

b) build individual projects

c) drag/drop support (especially from the explorer)

d) launch "other" editors for various files

Andrew

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

It would be nice if it used the existing PJX file and just presented the project in an explorer style view as an alternative. This way you would be able to still open and build your projects from different installations VFP if you don’t have the “Project/Solution Explorer” available. This way you could still include/exclude files in your project as we do now.

Best,

Tom.

Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2010 1:29 PM
To: tom.slayton@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Explorer based project manager [VFPX:230218]

This is something that has been talked about by a number of people: Craig Bernsten had mentioned he had a project on the go; then Scott and Craig Bailey had a project explorer on the go.

I had started building a basic one at one point - but stopped in favor of these other projects.

The key tool I was always looking for was a "Solution" style similar to Visual Studio - primarily because I was working with VFP frameworks that contained multiple applications.

tmslayton was looking for an explorer-style so that it would rely on the directory structure - is that something that would work for most projects? If so, how do the PJX files fall into it?

If I open a "solution directory", should it then group everything into the project files that are in the directory or should it simply build a solution file that includes them?

1. Do we identify what files are *not* part of a project and put them somewhere else?

Andrew

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:29 PM

OK - that sounds much like my original idea - it was the comment about following the folder structure that threw me.

I'll see if I can dig out the old code.

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:06 PM
Gregory Green has done some work on a Project Explorer. You can find him and it on Universal Thread.

On Oct 9, 2010, at 2:23 PM, "tmslayton"<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

It would be nice if it used the existing PJX file and just presented the project in an explorer style view as an alternative. This way you would be able to still open and build your projects from different installations VFP if you don’t have the “Project/Solution Explorer” available. This way you could still include/exclude files in your project as we do now.

Best,

Tom.

Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2010 1:29 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Explorer based project manager [VFPX:230218]

Andrew

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com