Proposal: Translating the VFP IDE and HELP file to Portuguese

Topics: General, Bug Information
Jan 29, 2008 at 11:07 AM
I'm glad to see that Juri Shutenko is leading a new project to translate the VFP IDE and HELP files.
How can we do the same but for the Portuguese language ?

Three years ago, a brazilian and portuguese group tried to start this job. They even joined a group of 18 developers that wanted to work on this project.
But at those times, it was a requirement that we should have a Brazilian MVP to lead this, and the project was abandoned. The fact is that we don't have any contact with MS Brazil regarding VFP.

This is really ridiculous.
The brazilian VFP community is really strong, but due to some language problems, we don't obtain the visibility needed to have our own MVPs. We have some great books published, great courses, a conference that joins more than 120 developers every two years, two forums, one by email and another in the web, a web site.

Is there a possibility that we could work on this project under VFPX ?
If positive, I'm almost sure that we'll have some good guys to do it.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM
Hi Cesar.

We would love to see a Portuguese localization project on VFPX. Please submit a project proposal so we can get started.

Doug
Jan 30, 2008 at 11:27 AM
This is great !
Thnaks very much for your support.

We're joining people interested on this job. We already have at least 10 persons to start.
How can we obtain the coordinates to start the job ?

The project proposal will be sent in the next days.
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2008 at 9:17 PM
Once we've received and accepted your proposal, we'll set up a project similar to the Russian one and you can then start uploading files and collaborating on the project.
Jan 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

DougHennig wrote:
... and you can then start uploading files and collaborating on the project.

The first move will be to translate the VFP IDE. Is there a specific file embedded in the DLL that contains the text to be translated ?
And the CORE messages, like error messages, printing messages ?

We hope to submit the project till tonight.

TIA

Cesar
Developer
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:08 AM

DougHennig wrote:
Once we've received and accepted your proposal, we'll set up a project similar to the Russian one and you can then start uploading files and collaborating on the project.

Doug, I was speaking about the translation with Cesar, and we decided that I would coordinate the translation of the IDE to Portuguese, so I want to know where and how to send the proposal, so that we can start with the translation.

What I would like to know is what are the next steps and how we can start with the translation, it’s because I’m not familiar with VFPX - Codeplex.

PS: I have a copy of the VFPX Project Overview/Proposal filled with the answers and don’t know where to send it.

TIA

Peter
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM
Hi Peter.

As noted at the start of the proposal document, send it to projects@vfpx.com. After the VFPX administrative team has reviewed it, we'll send you information about how to get started with Codeplex. As for how to get started on the translation, I'm not sure. You might want to contact Juri Shutenko (jshutenko@gmail.com); he is working on the Russian localization project and could likely give you details on how to perform the translation.

We look forward to your project!

Doug
Mar 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM
Hi Doug,

Did you (VFPX coordinators) receive the project proposal from Peter Wagner ?
We are almost ready to start at this moment.

As you know, Rainer Becker and YAG have already given the permissions to us.

Juri Shutenko is providing a great help too, He has offered all his structure - a totally configured website, translated to portuguese, for us to centralize and coordinate the translation of the HELP files, similar to the one he created for the russian translation.

Our latin friends from PortalFox have provided lots of suggestions too, including a glossary with some of the most used words / sentences.

We expect that using all the suggestions and feedback from those people that have already passed through this process before will help us substantially to obtain good results.

We are at very few steps to start, and only waiting for some VFPX instructions.

Regards

Cesar
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:45 AM
Hi Cesar,

>>Did you (VFPX coordinators) receive the project proposal from Peter Wagner ?
We are almost ready to start at this moment.<<

I see that the administrators accepted the proposal, but I cannot find the message from Doug (he was going to be the lead admin on the project) letting you guys know this has happened. I am sure Doug will chime in here soon with a response.

Rick
Mar 18, 2008 at 1:03 PM
Thanks for the good news Rick !
We'll wait for Doug then.

Regards

Cesar
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 2:56 PM
Hi Cesar.

Yes. I sent instructions to Peter on February 21 but have not heard back from him. I resent the message this morning in case he missed it.

Doug
Developer
Mar 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Hi Doug.
Only a few minutes ago came an e-mail with the information that the project has been accepted.
Maybe my firewall saw the previous e-mail as Spam.

TIA
Peter

DougHennig wrote:
Hi Cesar.

Yes. I sent instructions to Peter on February 21 but have not heard back from him. I resent the message this morning in case he missed it.

Doug

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM
Thanks very much !

I'll get in touch with Peter directly, to see how we should proceed.

Regards

Cesar