The tool for managing add-on tools in the IDE
Supported in VFP9
Coming soon... (beta release JuLy 2011)
Thor is a tool for managing add-on tools in the IDE. It
- has a user interface to control the assignment of hot keys to tools and developer-defined menus. The UI provides four different methods for accessing these tools:
- By assigning hot keys to them
- By creating pop-up menus accessible via hot keys
- By adding them as bars under any of the VFP system pads (File, Edit, View, etc.)
- By creating new pads in the VFP system menu and adding them as bars under these new pads
- provides a unified method for registering tools.
- simplifies the task of disseminating them.
Thor comes with a ready-made list of tools from two sources, the Thor Repository and PEM Editor. (See below)Sample showing three new menu pads in VFP system menu (Thor, PEM Editor, and JRN), the tools installed from PEM Editor, and some the the Thor UI.
Unlike the normal limited set of hot keys available from ON KEY LABEL, Thor provides for the full range of multiple-keystroke combinations (Ctrl Alt
A, for instance).
The 'tools' managed by Thor are simply PRGs with the following characteristics
- The name of the PRG must begin with Thor_Tool_
- The PRG must be saved either in the default Tools folder (which is created at installation) or anywhere in the path
- The first 20 lines or so of the PRG must follow a fixed template, allowing Thor to query them as to their name, description, etc.
After you have downloaded the Zip file into its installation folder, do the following:
This will create a folder named Thor in the installation folder, some sub-folders and files in that folder, update the VFP system menu (by adding a menu pad for Thor), and open the Thor form.Running Thor
Thor needs to be started once each IDE session. (It survives Clear All). It can be done in either of two ways:
(a) By calling Thor.App directly
Do Thor.APP with 'Thor'
(b) By calling RunThor.PRG, a PRG which is created in the sub-folder and which can be copied anywhere (such as to a folder in the path)
Do RunThorThe Thor Repository
Inherent in the design of Thor is the anticipation that members of the FoxPro community will have utilities of value that can well be shared throughout the community, The structure of the tool PRGs make such sharing simple.
The 'Thor Repository" is a catalog of such tools. The intent is that this repository grow over time,as developers submit tools to be included. The starting repository has about a dozen such tools.
To register the tools from the Repository, copy the PRGs from the ZIP file into the Tools sub-folderTools from PEM Editor
Version 7 of PEM Editor, now re-named 'PEM Editor ww IDE Tools', contains more than three dozen tools that can be accessed through Thor. These include some tools released in version 6 of PEM Editor, along with a large number of complete new tools. These can be downloaded from the PEM Editor page.
PEM Editor also "publishes" a pair of objects that simplifies building further tools. More than half of the original tools in the Thor Repository use these objects.
Registration of the tools from PEM Editor is occurs automatically (if Thor is running) when you execute:
- The concept for this project started with Jim Nelson.
- The design was created by a group which included Doug Hennig, Eric Selje, and Tore Bleken
- The entire UI was designed and implemented by Doug Hennig