nfXML ( Visual Foxpro XML Parser/Serializer )**
created by Marco Plaza , 2013-2017 @vfp2nofox
distributed under VFPX license termsBasic Usage:
- oVfp = nfXMLRead(cXMLstring | fileName [, cArraysList, cXpath,@cObjectMap ]): creates a vfp object from xml.
- cXml = nfXmlCreate( oVfp ): creates XML from a VFP empty-based object
Sample Test prgs:
- cXpaths = nfxPaths( cXml ) : Parse XML w/o schema and show all object paths - please check notes below for important notes about arrays in XML.
( run from Tests\ !)
nfxmltest.prg: main functionallity shown using a excel xml file
simpleRssReader.prgXML Sample Files:
- Inventory Hierarchy.xml
Minor bug in nfXmlRead
added xml sample file "AndroidPhone.xml"
- Included file nfXml.h
- Proper support for objects with attributes and no properties ; now identified as <objectName>.textnode
- Bug fix: proper error management for invalid xPath query
- Minor update for help file
- new samples: weather.prg / airportdata.prg
- updated rss.prg
- updated exceltest.prg
- nfXMLCreate formatted xml option bug fix: supress crlf before/after open/close text node tags
- NEW nfXPaths: get all the Xpaths for the XML document
- deprecated: nfObjectMap
- nfXMLRead improvement: specify arrays using separated comma list of xpaths.
- IMPORTANT NOTES** ##
oVfp = nfXMLRead( cXMLstring , cArraysList, @cXpath
pass xml string, returns a vfp object. ( empty based, requires vfp9 )
Unlike Json, XML does not identify object arrays on the XML document itself,
it does it on the XML Schema.
To gain simplicity and ease of use, nfXmlRead uses no XML Schema.
nfXmlRead identifies arrays by counting the child nodes with identical names;
so any node with more than one child node with identical name is identified as array,
as no object can contain more than 2 properties with the same name.
If you're sure your XML contains no arrays and any contained array will have at least
more than one member, you don't need to worry.
For any other situation, you can pass a comma separated list of all the xpaths that must be treated as arrays;
and should contain no spaces. For example,a excel workbook contains the following arrays:
( check the excelTest.prg / run from test folder! )
NAME PROPERTIES WITH SPECIAL CHARACTERS OR SPACES**
XML allows node names with spaces and special characters; nfXml safely
converts them to valid vfp property names by replacing them on the following way:
':' by '_'
'(' by '_l_'
')' by '_r_'
'-' by '__h__'
'.' by '_d_'
RESERVERD WORDS OR NON CHARACTER PROPERTY NAMES** will be prepended with '_'
for example, you can't have an array called "row" since
"row()" is a vfp function, then it gets renamed to _row
also names starting with numbers and so on.
any node with attributes will be created as object, and will have a
object property called attr
wich will hold the node attributes
Namespaces are prepended to node names, separated by " _"
this way ss:Styles gets the vfp property name ss_styles;
object properties with "_" should be escaped with additional "_"
oxml.customer_id will serialize as <customer:id>
oxml.customer__id will serialize as <customer_id>
@xpathExp : you can pass any xPath Expression for nfXMLRead to return only
the desired node without parsing the entire document; useful for big xml files.
program will throw error if you supply invalid xml; manage accordingly.