TableDesignerX

Topics: General, Bug Information, Attention VFPX Admins
Developer
Apr 19, 2007 at 1:22 PM
Hi Gurus

I hope I am allowed to put in a request here.

Is anybody planning to create a table designer frontend for MODIFY STRUCTURE? Or is there already an improved one for Sedna?

The current implementation is modal and the long field names are a problem to work with. Esp. when the table is opened as shared then the fieldnames cannot be seen in full nor can the textbox be navigated.

Please give my request a look-see

Regards
Bhavbhuti
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Is anybody planning to create a table designer frontend for MODIFY STRUCTURE? Or is there already an improved one for Sedna?

No problem posting questions like this.

I am not aware of any community related tools like the one you are describing and know there is nothing in Sedna with this type of functionality. If you are interested in making a proposal check out the process on the VFPX home page.

Rick
Developer
Apr 19, 2007 at 5:03 PM

RickSchummer wrote:
No problem posting questions like this.

I am not aware of any community related tools like the one you are describing and know there is nothing in Sedna with this type of functionality. If you are interested in making a proposal check out the process on the VFPX home page.

Rick

Thanks Rick for your quick response. I will check out the process for the proposal.

Regards
Bhavbhuti
Developer
Jun 18, 2007 at 3:43 PM
Hi Everybody,

I hv done something like this in the past, but combining standard table field properties with extended
propery set kept in extended dictionary tables. Table fields can be fast edited in browse/grid style
with dynamically selecting only properties we are interested in editing.
Eg. all captions, all formats or any combination of field properties selected
including extended (user defined) ones.

Unfortunatelly project was never completed to level I wld feel comforatble publishing.
If someone is interested in looking at it and possibly continuing I wld gladly donate code/ideas.

I could also participate/help in such project but to limited extent , because I am spending currently all my extra time on another
free VFP project which deals with cross format reporting.

Cudos/my full support to whoever undertake this;
It would be great value added and time saver for meny people.

Rgds++
Srdjan

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2007 at 12:14 AM
bhavbhuti,

I'd be interested in seeing your project proposal for this - specifically the GUI design you had in mind for this. Have you used another tool that you liked and felt that this could be used as a model for this project?

Anyone else have any thoughts aboutn what it would look like, and what new features/productivity enhancements would be provided by this new VFP IDE tool?
Jul 2, 2007 at 4:58 PM
Hey, guys

I would love take care of coding this project. How to apply for it?
Developer
Jul 3, 2007 at 11:17 AM
Hi Craig

craigsboyd wrote:
bhavbhuti,

I'd be interested in seeing your project proposal for this - specifically the GUI design you had in mind for this. Have you used another tool that you liked and felt that this could be used as a model for this project?

Anyone else have any thoughts aboutn what it would look like, and what new features/productivity enhancements would be provided by this new VFP IDE tool?

If I am not mistaken I have already put in a project proposal in April itself as per instructions on the webpage. I will try to look up the document and send it again. Sorry about replying late but I never got an email notification in my mail and I had not been checking the forum regularly.
Developer
Jul 3, 2007 at 11:18 AM
Thanks all for your interest in this project.
Developer
Jul 4, 2007 at 7:19 AM
Hi Everybody,

Few toughts about GUI design for TableDesignerX,

Imho it should be essentially grid/browse style edit of all field properties in one go,
preferably with dynamic selection of field properties (columns) to be edited at the same time.

Standard modify structure dialog could be extended by adding another tab where dynamically selected group of field properties
can be edited all at the same time as it is case now with Name,Type,Size,Width... on first tab.

Or without adding another tab simply extend functinality of first tab/page to be able to expose more field property columns.
Again dynamically selecting properties (columns) and saving that selection somewhere as table edit preferences might come handy.
Standard mover list or even better ordinary picklist could be used to dynamically select field properties.

Since simultaneosely handling (externally saved) set of user definable field properties (code I offered) might go out of scope here,
leaving solution open for plugging inn extended property set would be really cool.
Well designed class which can be subclassed and enriched later just might do the trick here.
My.2c :)

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Greetings,

For this project, I'd like to see some real data dictionary capabilities, beginning with a field repository.

The idea is that one would first create and define fields, complete with attributes (standard and extended), classes, captions and validation, and store them in the repository along with a description. Then, when defining a table, one could simply select fields from this repository (or create the from scratch). By browsing the repository, one could in theory not waste time -and /or make the mistake of- re-specifying a pre-existing field, going a long way towards maintaining coherency in fields that are used in many tables within a given application.

One could obtain a report of field usage, indicating for each field, the table in which it is included and, if key, wether it's a primary or foreign key.

The create-from-scratch feature should be subject to access control, so one could allow some developers to add fields while precluding others from doing so. Maybe the UI should allow that a just created field be stored in the repository, but what I have in mind is a Repository application that would support the creation of fields complete with examples of how would the field look on screen, on a report, how would the validation work, etc. depending the classes specified for the field.

About this, I'm talking about the ability of specifying at least input, output and validation classes for each field, but this really has more to do with bhavbhuti and what he has in mind for the project.

Looking forward to see the project proposal.
Developer
Jul 5, 2007 at 7:20 AM
Edited Jul 5, 2007 at 7:21 AM
Can somebody retrieve my original project proposal from projects@sednax.com If not please let me know and I will recreate the doc (cannot find the original on my computer).

as per instruction:
'Instructions: Fill out each of the following sections. Then include any supporting files for the proposed project with this document in a zip file and email it to projects@sednax.com.'
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2007 at 3:29 AM

bhavbhuti wrote:
Can somebody retrieve my original project proposal from projects@sednax.com If not please let me know and I will recreate the doc (cannot find the original on my computer).

We have the original one you sent. Do you want it back to update, or will you be satisfied with the acceptance of the project?

Rick
Developer
Jul 6, 2007 at 8:24 AM
Hi Rick

RickSchummer wrote:
We have the original one you sent. Do you want it back to update, or will you be satisfied with the acceptance of the project?

Great. From Craig's and ffiloseta's response I got the impression that it had not reached thus I asked for it to be retrieved. I am pretty satisfied with the original proposal, but as a team please feel free to update to the general consensus of such a utility.
Coordinator
Jul 7, 2007 at 4:45 AM

bhavbhuti wrote:
Hi Rick

Great. From Craig's and ffiloseta's response I got the impression that it had not reached thus I asked for it to be retrieved. I am pretty satisfied with the original proposal, but as a team please feel free to update to the general consensus of such a utility.

I will double check with the admins to see what the approval status is and get this one moved along.

Rick
Developer
Jul 7, 2007 at 7:10 AM
Thanks Rick

Regards
Bhavbhuti
Developer
Aug 6, 2007 at 2:46 PM
Hi all

Anybody made responsible for this Project?

I have just salvaged an old copy of a table builder I had worked on. I can send it as a pointer to my requirements. The GUI is a simple browse window but it has my intentions in it. Plus I can create VFP as well as FireBird tables or atleast the intentions are to. Please note, this is buggy code.

Regards
Bhavbhuti
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2007 at 1:04 PM
Hi bhavbhuti,

I'll check with Rick and Doug today and find out where we are at on this. Thank you for your patience.
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2007 at 1:25 PM
bhavbhuti,

OK, the Table Designer X project has been posted and your CodePlex account has been added as a contributor so you can oversee the project. GrigoreDolghin expressed interest in this project, and a few others have made some good suggestions here. Feel free to contact them and illicit their support and help implementing this project. Also, if you feel that your table builder project is a good starting point feel free to add it to the project release here on CodePlex. You should be receiving an email from me shortly at the email address you provided in the project proposal. If you need any additional help with this project or have any questions please feel free to email me.
Developer
Aug 20, 2007 at 7:51 AM
Hi Craig, Rick and Doug.

Thanks a lot for accepting this project. I have received your email and will respond to it with my queries.

Thanks
Aug 20, 2007 at 8:30 AM
Hi guys

I am still available for coding this project.
Developer
Aug 20, 2007 at 10:55 AM
Hi Grigore

Thanks for your offer and I am glad you are ready to code.

I have my homework to do and get back to you.

GrigoreDolghin wrote:
Hi guys

I am still available for coding this project.

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:03 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm also available for this project. I came to know bit late. Still I can contribute.

Best regards,
Markish
Developer
Aug 21, 2007 at 10:44 AM
Hi Markish

Thanks a lot for your interest too. Will get in touch with you accordingly.

markishh wrote:
Hi Guys,
I'm also available for this project. I came to know bit late. Still I can contribute.

Best regards,
Markish

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:18 AM
Edited Aug 21, 2007 at 11:20 AM
Bhavbhuti,
I'd love to be of assistance in the project as the table designer has been one of my pet hates for years!

Dave Crozier
Developer
Aug 21, 2007 at 1:50 PM
Hi Dave

Wow! we have a following.

RDCrozier wrote:
I'd love to be of assistance in the project as the table designer has been one of my pet hates for years!

Thanks.
Developer
Aug 31, 2007 at 2:25 PM
Hi all, esp. Craig, Rick and Doug

I have been trying to upload the initial project onto the VFPX server but have not been successful. I have followed the document and guess I have followed the protocol as much as I could understand because when I provide my login and password that I use for VFPX, it is rejected.

Please advise by email what my login and password for upload is.

Thanks.
Developer
Aug 31, 2007 at 3:25 PM
The username for source control is slightly different:

snd\<<username>>_cp

so your source control user name would be:

snd\bhavbhuti_cp

The password is the same as your CodePlex login
Developer
Sep 1, 2007 at 6:48 AM
Hi binarybo

Thanks a lot. I had missed the _cp part.

binarybo wrote:
The username for source control is slightly different:

snd\<<username>>_cp

so your source control user name would be:

snd\bhavbhuti_cp

The password is the same as your CodePlex login

Developer
Sep 15, 2007 at 1:47 PM
Hi everybody

The TableDesignerX is now uploaded. Of course it is still early days but the inital ChangeSet is in.

Thanks.
Developer
Sep 16, 2007 at 1:57 AM
Hi Bhavbhuti,

Have you posted this as a release or is it only available via Source Control?

Thanks,
Bo Durban
Developer
Sep 17, 2007 at 7:25 AM
Hi binarybo

I have put it up via the Source Control just yet, cause there are few issues that need to be resolved before it can be generally used.