adding Upper/Lower Limit lines

Topics: Attention VFPX Admins, Enhancement Request, General
Feb 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I have been a graphics server user for years. They don't really exist anymore so I have been looking at FoxCharts as an alternative. There are a couple of items in graphics Server that I need in FoxCharts such as limit lines. I can add limit lines without a problem but I need to have the area above the upper limit shaded as I do for the lower limt (shaded below). I can't seem to figure out a way to do this. I have tried multcharts = .t. using lines for the main data and area for the upper and lower limit. I can't seem to make it work. any help would be appreaciated. I have an example on my web site that I would like to make better.  I have an example on my web site (http://www.techwareinc.com/LBSolutions.html) that show an example of the chart I would not only like to duplicate, but make better.

Thanks, Mike Privott

TechWare Incorporated

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Hi,

The link you have included in your question is not clear - it does not show any graph and looks more like an advertisment to your company, maybe you have inserted the wrong file? Also your question is not clear.

What is it you are looking for? An min. and max value (bounderies) ?

Regards,

Koen

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Koen:

Basically I need to create a line chart that has upper and lower control limits. I can pass the limits in the table no problem and I can display the limits as lines as well as the main data that I am charting. What I would like is the ability to convert the upper / lower limits to an area type chart. The lower limit is not really a big problem because it would be displayed from the min value to whatever the low limit is. The upper limit seems to be the problem because I would like it to display from the max axis down to the upper limit. For example say the value I want to display is called count. The target or average values are around 26, the upper limit would be 28 and the lower limit would be 24. I want to plot the count values as they are but show an area plot from the min (say 20) up to 24 the LCL. Next I want to create an area plot from the max – (say 30) down to the UCL of 28. This would give me an idea of any trends that are taking place. Usually the value “count” is represented over time.

As far as my web site is concerned (www.techwareinc.com), there are examples of the current chart I am looking for. This is a quality control type of application.

Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,

Michael W. Privott, President

TechWare Incorporated-Total Data Solutions

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Tel: 704-663-5550

Fax: 704-663-5455

e-mail: michael.privott@techwareinc.com

http://www.techwareinc.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:04 AM
To: michael.privott@techwareinc.com
Subject: Re: adding Upper/Lower Limit lines [VFPX:82781]

Hi,

The link you have included in your question is not clear - it does not show any graph and looks more like an advertisment to your company, maybe you have inserted the wrong file? Also your question is not clear.

Regards,

Koen

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Hi Michael,

I had an other look on the page you gave as a hyperlink, and than I found (somewhere in a corner) a picture on page :

http://www.techwareinc.com/images/Custom_Report_Graphs.JPG

I presume these are the charts you would like to make with FoxCharts.

The may seem a piece of cake to you, but for me this is totaly 'rubbish' What is MSELONGFL for instance?
Now get me clear I am not kicking you nor commenting, just a little fun.

Now seriously.

lets take that mselongfl

I see :
1) a line chart, with an upper // part and an lower // part -
2) a line which starts in blue and continues in bold red
3) points (triangles)
4) yaxis and xaxis legend

do you want something like that?
I would have to study particulary 1) the // parts on your chart wall are the data driven?
An 2) maybe could be solved with 2 charts plotted over each other ( one with hairpin blue line, one with bold red line?)

Regards,

Koen

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:50:41 -0800

Koen:

Basically I need to create a line chart that has upper and lower control limits. I can pass the limits in the table no problem and I can display the limits as lines as well as the main data that I am charting. What I would like is the ability to convert the upper / lower limits to an area type chart. The lower limit is not really a big problem because it would be displayed from the min value to whatever the low limit is. The upper limit seems to be the problem because I would like it to display from the max axis down to the upper limit. For example say the value I want to display is called count. The target or average values are around 26, the upper limit would be 28 and the lower limit would be 24. I want to plot the count values as they are but show an area plot from the min (say 20) up to 24 the LCL. Next I want to create an area plot from the max – (say 30) down to the UCL of 28. This would give me an idea of any trends that are taking place. Usually the value “count” is represented over time.

As far as my web site is concerned (www.techwareinc.com), there are examples of the current chart I am looking for. This is a quality control type of application.

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Hi,
Regards,

Koen

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Feb 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Koen:

I appreciate you noting “mselongfl”! Some things unfortunately get overlooked. The field MSELONGF would only be understood by the user. It turns out that this is test designed by an air-bag manufacture. Air bags are made almost like jeans you wear. They have 2 pieces of fabric “welded” together to form a bag. The MS part of this field represents what they call the Marker Side, the ELONG is a short name for Elongation and finally the F represents the direction in which the test was performed. They use instruments called Instron, Zwick or other manufactures to determine the tensile strength. Elongation tells the manufacture how much the fabric stretched before it broke or tore into.

I’m glad you noticed that because I completely overlooked it. I’ll change that so it represents something more understandable.

I have attached a simple form using Foxcharts. All of the charts will be data driven. In this case the field “count” is what I am charting. In this example the xAxis is the field sample id. It could just as well be test date or something else. You have defined it well in your explanation.

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:21 PM

Hi Michael,

I had an other look on the page you gave as a hyperlink, and than I found (somewhere in a corner) a picture on page :

The may seem a piece of cake to you, but for me this is totaly 'rubbish' What is MSELONGFL for instance?

Now seriously.

lets take that mselongfl

I see :
3) points (triangles)

I would have to study particulary 1) the // parts on your chart wall are the data driven?
An 2) maybe could be solved with 2 charts plotted over each other ( one with hairpin blue line, one with bold red line?)

Regards,

Koen

Koen:

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Hi,
Regards,

Koen

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:27 PM
Michael,

This is just a simple "confirmation of receipt" will study the attached files and return back to you in a couple of days. Meanwhile please tell me, are the diagonal marked sections of your graphic a 'must' or would i be free to think of an other visual aspect or even leave them out?

Regards,

Koen

Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 05:21:52 -0800

Koen:

I appreciate you noting “mselongfl”! Some things unfortunately get overlooked. The field MSELONGF would only be understood by the user. It turns out that this is test designed by an air-bag manufacture. Air bags are made almost like jeans you wear. They have 2 pieces of fabric “welded” together to form a bag. The MS part of this field represents what they call the Marker Side, the ELONG is a short name for Elongation and finally the F represents the direction in which the test was performed. They use instruments called Instron, Zwick or other manufactures to determine the tensile strength. Elongation tells the manufacture how much the fabric stretched before it broke or tore into.

I’m glad you noticed that because I completely overlooked it. I’ll change that so it represents something more understandable.

I have attached a simple form using Foxcharts. All of the charts will be data driven. In this case the field “count” is what I am charting. In this example the xAxis is the field sample id. It could just as well be test date or something else. You have defined it well in your explanation.

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Hi Michael,

Now seriously.

lets take that mselongfl

I see :
3) points (triangles)

Regards,

Koen

Koen:
Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Hi,
Regards,

Koen

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Koen:

Fill free to go at it. Something used in the past is just that. I’m open to ideas.

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:27 AM

Michael,

This is just a simple "confirmation of receipt" will study the attached files and return back to you in a couple of days. Meanwhile please tell me, are the diagonal marked sections of your graphic a 'must' or would i be free to think of an other visual aspect or even leave them out?

Regards,

Koen

Koen:

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Hi Michael,

Now seriously.

lets take that mselongfl

I see :
3) points (triangles)

Regards,

Koen

Koen:

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Hi,
Regards,

Koen

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Koen:

I’m still trying to figure out if I can use fox charts. There are a couple of issues that I need to resolve before making a decision about foxchats. Below is code that will draw a line chart – but I would really like to add a “stripe” for the min and max values. The example below will draw the chart. The issue I have is that I would like to draw an area from the minvalue up to llcount value and then draw an area from the lhcount value up to the maxvalue.

Let me know if this is possible.

Code in my form.init

CLOSE TABLES

USE "R_YrnSum" IN 0 shared

SELECT sample_id, count, llcount, lhcount FROM r_yrnsum WHERE NOT ISNULL(count) INTO CURSOR q_graph1

CALCULATE MAX(count) TO Max_Y

CALCULATE Min(count) TO Min_Y

#define MINMAX_RANGE .025

WITH Thisform.FoxCharts1 as FoxCharts OF "FoxCharts.vcx"

* --

.BackColor = RGB(255,255,255)

.BackColor2 = RGB(64,128,128)

*.ScaleBackBarsType = 1

.ChartType = 5

.Depth = 0

.SourceAlias = "q_graph1"

.Multichart = .t.

.ChartsCount = 3

.MaxValue = Max_Y * (1 + MINMAX_RANGE)

.MinValue = Min_Y * (1 - MINMAX_RANGE)

.BarsPerScale = 2

.MinNumberScaleLegends = 5

.Scale = 1

*.ScaleAutoFormat = .t.

.FieldAxis2 = "SAMPLE_ID"

.AxisLegend2.Rotation = 45

.AxisLegend2.Alignment = 0 && Left

WITH .Fields(1)

.fieldvalue = "Count"

.legend = "Count"

.Color = RGB(0,128,128) && Green

ENDWITH

WITH .Fields(2)

.fieldvalue = "LLCount"

.legend = "Low Limit"

.Color = RGB(255,0,0) && Red

.ChartType = 6 && Area --Doesn't work

* What I would like is to draw an area from min to llCount

ENDWITH

WITH .Fields(3)

.fieldvalue = "LHCount"

.legend = "High Limit"

.Color = RGB(255,0,0) && Red

* What I would like is to draw an area from lhCount to max (some graph packages call this a stripe)

ENDWITH

.DrawChart()

ENDWITH

USE IN "R_YrnSum"

USE IN "q_graph1"

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:27 AM

Michael,

Regards,

Koen

Koen:

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Hi Michael,

Now seriously.

lets take that mselongfl

I see :
3) points (triangles)

Regards,

Koen

Koen:

Best regards,

PO Box 1767

755 North Main Street

Mooresville, NC 28115

Hi,
Regards,

Koen