VFP just Rocks

Topics: General
Aug 28, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I don't know about you my fellow VFP'ers but I think that the Visual FoxPro is still the greatest development tool. I have used some of the tools here on VFPx and since the announcement in 2007, like you I have been trying other tools, PHP, C#, Python, C++, Java and I always find myself coming back to VFP and feel like I'm at home.

I just think the community is great and these extensions are awesome. Thanks for all of your excellent work developing the great extensions for the Fox!!!

Best,

Tom Slayton

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Hi Tom,

I am glad to know how you feel and I am glad to know you like Visual FoxPro so much as an very good tool both to develop Microsoft Certified WIndows apllications even in our lates Windows7 and I am also thrilled to read your end users like the applications build with Microsoft Visual FoxPro so much.

But know is's over I have ordered Steve to stop developping a new application like VFP10, this one without any bugs or flaws or other unwanted behaviors, let alone nomore C000005.

People should realize we cant continue on this road, we now must go on and develop new tools with again lots of new bugs and errors. Sorry Tom, but VFP is definitely out. You shall have to learn new languages we will both benefit from that: you learn a new language and Microsoft will earn substantially more by selling new products.

Hope to hear from you again in the new developping tool area.

CEO Bill

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

2 tmslayton. Yes, VFP just rocks!

2 ceobill. Don't be so pessimistics

We'll survive!

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Hi Yudin,

I agree, I can't wait to see the final product from http://www.etecnologia.net/.

-Tom.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Yudin <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

2 tmslayton. Yes, VFP just rocks!

2 ceobill. Don't be so pessimistics

We'll survive!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Why always looking for version 10 11 12 ... this is not the point, VFP has reached maturity and like cars today there is not much to change, they pretty much look alike.  What excatly a VFP 10 can offer ? OK, few this or that and of course the big deal, ".net " to do what excatly ?

We are not alone, there is the same situation with ASP (I tried using ASP for my web application and it is ok coming from VFP), but guess what it's no more ASP, it's ASP.net and of course you need to rewrite a big part and forget your VFP experience.  

I don't know about you guys but I am making my money writing small business applications, their needs are not tera octets and nothing to do with .net ! 

I believe this is a marketing mistake from MS to stop VFP simply because they need to keep offering the tools for all kind of needs.   When you dig a hole in your backyard you don't need a Bulldozer !  You need a showel and fortunetly you can still buy one !  VFP marketing should be the same,  I want to buy the module to go above 4G limitation, I buy it, , I want to get Unicode I buy it,  I want .net I buy it .... that's todays business vision not simply saying "STOP" we can't make anymore money and screw you all,  there is another  way especially when you know the VFP community.

So my path is to continu with VFP as long as possible, since my customers are fully satisfied,  I make enough money per hours to be productive and I certainly won't rush into whatever community/magazines/chats...  are telling me to do.  Once the next "real" standard will appear then I'll see where to go but for now I simply want to say thank you for everyone involved in VFP.

Kind regards

JC (France)