This project is read-only.

How FoxCharts plot the series ? "ala" Excel Way ?

Topics: Enhancement Request, New Project Idea
Aug 6, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Please don't take this as a critique.

In the book "MegaFox:1002 Things YouWanted to Know About Extending Visual FoxPro" by Marcia Akins they say...

"The default for the MSChart control is to plot the series in columns.
However, the default for MSGraph is to plot the series in rows! Since MSGraph is merely a
cut-down version of Excel’s graphing engine, one would expect Excel to plot the series in
rows as well. Surprisingly enough, the default for Excel is “best fit” and it plots the series from
whichever are fewer. So, If the data has more rows than columns, Excel uses the data from the
columns to create the series objects. Fortunately, the way in which the series are plotted is
configurable and can be controlled programmatically
."

Way not implement this funcionality in FoxCharts ?

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I am replying in Cesar's sted, as he's unavailable for a few days, recovering from eye surgery.

In recognition of this need you've identified, I have send him a new method for possible inclusion in FoxCharts which will take data series that are in rows and transform (transpose) them into a new cursor where the data is in columns.

I have every expectation that he will include this in an upcoming release.

BTW -- he's says he's doing fine.

Jim Nelson

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Thank you

That will be nice to facilitate the creation of graphs programmatically in response of the user’s choices in a program. That way we can use cursors created with simple SQL statements directly.

Thanks again and continue the good work.

Best regards

Sent: quinta-feira, 6 de Agosto de 2009 15:17
To: ra3484202887303@tvtel.pt
Subject: Re: How FoxCharts plot the series ? "ala" Excel Way ? [VFPX:64669]

I am replying in Cesar's sted, as he's unavailable for a few days, recovering from eye surgery.

In recognition of this need you've identified, I have send him a new method for possible inclusion in FoxCharts which will take data series that are in rows and transform (transpose) them into a new cursor where the data is in columns.

I have every expectation that he will include this in an upcoming release.

BTW -- he's says he's doing fine.

Jim Nelson

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Hi,

Maybe I misunderstand you but FoxChart has the option to cluster the colums to your rquirements: Take e.g. the main chart example. chartype 11 is series in colums,  charttype 8 is series in rows.

Regards,

Koen

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Koen --

I believe that his request has to do with the data in the source cursor, not with how the data is displayed in a chart.

Jim

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Hi Koen,

Try create a cursor, programmatically, in SQL with columns representing years and rows months like the tables in the examples, taking as source the table structure I show in the posts. To do this you must have a second SELECT statement that transforms this cursor: “SELECT sum(month1), sum(month2)…,year from quotas where…” into something that Foxcharts can digest in a way that use it with all type off graphs.

Original Select statement :

SELECT SUM(v_q_1) as Janeiro,SUM(v_q_2) as Fevereiro,SUM(v_q_3) as Março,SUM(v_q_4) as Abril,SUM(v_q_5) as Maio,SUM(v_q_6) as Junho,SUM(v_q_7) as Julho,SUM(v_q_8) as Agosto,SUM(v_q_9) as Setembro,SUM(v_q_10) as Outubro,SUM(v_q_11) as Novembro,SUM(v_q_12) as Dezembro,ano FROM quotas INTO CURSOR quotasano WHERE BETWEEN(ano,2007,2009) GROUP BY ano

Then you must have a second select to transform this cursor into one with structure equal the examples. As I see I couldn’t create this cursor directly in one statement.

Thanks and sorry if this explanation is bit confusion. I hope you understand mi point.

Sent: terça-feira, 11 de Agosto de 2009 8:15

Hi,

Maybe I misunderstand you but FoxChart has the option to cluster the colums to your rquirements: Take e.g. the main chart example. chartype 11 is series in colums, charttype 8 is series in rows.

Regards,

Koen

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:34 PM

That’s right JimRNelson,

Try create a cursor, programmatically, in SQL with columns representing years and rows months like the tables in the examples, taking as source the table structure I show in the posts. To do this you must have a second SELECT statement that transforms this cursor: “SELECT sum(month1), sum(month2)…,year from quotas where…” into something that Foxcharts can digest in a way that use it with all type off graphs.

Original Select statement :

SELECT SUM(v_q_1) as Janeiro,SUM(v_q_2) as Fevereiro,SUM(v_q_3) as Março,SUM(v_q_4) as Abril,SUM(v_q_5) as Maio,SUM(v_q_6) as Junho,SUM(v_q_7) as Julho,SUM(v_q_8) as Agosto,SUM(v_q_9) as Setembro,SUM(v_q_10) as Outubro,SUM(v_q_11) as Novembro,SUM(v_q_12) as Dezembro,ano FROM quotas INTO CURSOR quotasano WHERE BETWEEN(ano,2007,2009) GROUP BY ano

Then you must have a second select to transform this cursor into one with structure equal the examples. As I see I couldn’t create this cursor directly in one statement.

Thanks and sorry if this explanation is bit confusion. I hope you understand mi point.

Sent: quarta-feira, 12 de Agosto de 2009 19:32

Koen --

I believe that his request has to do with the data in the source cursor, not with how the data is displayed in a chart.

Jim

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Hi Aedaedg

To create a cursor for the Foxcharts, a fine example is given in the method CreateSampleCursors() in JN_sample2.

However not very clear to me what your main problem is, in the heading of this post you refer to an article of Marcia, which is all about series in colums vz series in rows. What is your goal: columns or rows?

Regards,

Koen

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Please try the following link:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1637031/JRN_FoxCharts_Tools.zip

This is toolkit of mine for FoxCharts with two tools -- one of which satisfies your request.  I welcome your comments and suggestions on it.

I hope to be able to release this publicly soon, as part of the FoxCharts home page.  This is a beta version; please give it a good try.

Jim Nelson