This project is read-only.

VFP - LINUX

Topics: General
Jun 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Is it "ok" to run VFP runtime or even full VFP on Linux ? After months of tests (VB,ASP,PHP,Mysql...) I realize that I absolutely don't need to migrate on any other platform due to client budget, needs and for sure not the time to take risks (thanks to VFPX showing VFP will continu) .

My clients are using more and more linux based OS and my VFP application does run on Linux, so knowning Microsoft killed VFP is it still an issue now days ?

JC

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Hi JC,

I am not sure the technical feasiblily of running VFP on Linux, but the reality is you need to interpret the Microsoft licensing for VFP and the EULA. I am in no position to interpret the licensing, but some others in the community did years ago and they did not want to fight Microsoft.

Rick 

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply "yes it does run well on Linux using Wine" I have installed and tested this solution (you don't need to do anything like it was before).  I found out that I can install VFP 8 or 9 on Linux in legal terms if I buy VFP, so this reply to my question knowing VFP is discontinued I won't worry about that. 

JC