New Thor install problems, 5/9/2014

Topics: Bug Information, General
May 9, 2014 at 10:51 PM
I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Thor and unzipped it into it's own directory, then ran Thor.app. It seemed to download a bunch of things and configure itself, but I don't see any of the things that I see on my other machine.

For example, no GoFish, PEM Editor, or ANY of the normal tools. They just don't appear in the menu. If I go to Check for Updates, it appears to do things but it never appears with the list of plug-ins that I'd expect to see. It just runs through a bunch of file downloads and nothing else appears.

What am I missing?
Coordinator
May 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Weird -- You never go the check for updates screen to check off what you wanted?

May 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM
No, it never appears.
Coordinator
May 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM
By the way, I have found that installation works best if you double=click Thor.APP from Explorer.

Coordinator
May 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Paul --

Just downloaded from VFPX into a fresh folder, double-clicked on Thor.APP, all worked as expected.

Hard to guess from here what is different on your system.

Umm, what version of Windows? Have you installed into that version of Windows before? (wild stab)

Apparently, re-running Check For Updates has no effect also?

(This was reported once before, solution that time was to ignore instructions on Thor home page and dbl-click)

May 9, 2014 at 11:10 PM
I just deleted it and unzipped it again. One thing I know I did the first time was I had unzipped it into a "Tools" folder. Then I noticed that Thor.app was in Tools and not in the Thor subdirectory (which I didn't like). So I moved it. I didn't do that this time.

It works now.
Coordinator
May 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Glad that is resolved.

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Hi all -

I'm having the same problem (i.e., the installation seems to go smoothly yet the no Thor Tools are available in the menu nor in the launcher). I've tried a fresh re-installation, as well as moving Thor.APP into the Thor folder, and double-clicking the .APP rather than issuing a DO. Nothing! I also tried moving the Thor folder underneath the Visual FoxPro folder and even doing a SET DEFAULT to it.

Any ideas?

TIA
Alex Luyando - J.C.N. Associates, L.L.C. - Visual FoxPro database application design, development and project management - www.jcn-associates.com
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Alex --

You should be able to do the following:

(1) Unzip into any permanent folder

(2) Double-click on Thor.App

This should start "check for updates", among other things.

When the form for "Check For Updates" comes up, there should be a few items atop the form, already checked off. I suggest you add GoFish to your list.

Then click Install.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Hi Jim -

Thanks for the reply. I do agree that all that should happen, but alas it does not. I tried (forgot to mention in my original post) to do a Check for Updates as well. That goes through its paces but never produces a list of tools to update or install.

A big fan of goFish, so will definitely be looking to have that one installed.

Any other ideas? Actually, I have a VM with a Visual FoxPro development environment in it... Going to see if I get the same behavior. The workstation I tried this morning is a Windows 7 64-bit workstation... the VM is XP... will be interesting to see if I get different behavior. I'll post the results.

_____/ Regards,
____/ al

Alex Luyando - J.C.N. Associates, L.L.C. - Visual FoxPro database application design, development and project management - www.jcn-associates.com
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Alex --

Well, you mentioned in your earlier post something about moving Thor.APP, etc .... You should be able to unzip and double-click. (unless, of course, there is some sort of access problem in the folder you are working on)

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Jim -

No permissions issues here--at least absolutely no warning or error dialogs to that effect.

I just tried the installation in my Visual FoxPro XP VM and see the same issue as on my main workstation and what Paul saw back in May (see post above). Doesn't matter if I do the installation by double-clicking the Thor.APP file or just DOing it from the command window inside FoxPro.

The install shows an "Installation Complete" dialog, followed by a series of Download, Installing, Complete.... wait windows and eventually it launches a browser window for CodePlex. Back in Visual FoxPro it leaves me in the Thor Configuration form. Bringing up the Tool Launcher only shows two nodes in the System List tree: Settings & Misc. and Thor. No tools (like goFish) to be found.

Anyone see this behavior before? Any ideas?

TIA

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Well, it's certainly true that if you never get the Check For Updates screen, you ain't gonna get any of the tools.

The earlier report on this problem was resolved by not moving Thor.APP -- and you're not doing that.

I will have to try it again this evening, see if I can sense anything, or suggest what you can do about debugging it yourself.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Definitely NOT moving Thor.APP any longer, but that didn't change anything.

Appreciate any suggestions you have before I trace the install, as you clearly know Thor infinitely better than I. No rush... my plate is pretty full with non-VFP stuff as well so I'll just push what I was going to do in VFP off for a while and see where the dust settles.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Alex --

Just noticed this conversation is part of CodePlex; I would have preferred the Thor discussion group.

However -- please respond to me personally from now on, it may take some iterations that need not include everybody else.

Jim
[email removed]

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM
Alex --

Try this (a shot in the dark).

I am assuming that even though you have no tools that you can run Check For Updates from the Thor menu pad.

If this is so, first do the following: In the folder Thor\Tools\Procs you will find thor_proc_downloadandinstallupdates.prg.

Open it up and put a stop at the beginning of the procedure "SelectUpdates".

Then run Check For Updates. It should stop there (eventually). Step thru the code ... you will see a call to the form (the one that isn't appearing). I am wondering if the veriable lcFormFileName is empty at that point.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Jim -

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. The problems I was having were 100% environmental and related primarily with two non-VFP tools I keep running on my workstations. They are listed below just in case anyone else has these installed.
  1. Stardock's Windowblinds
  2. TeraCopy
My "fix" was to completely disable Windowblinds and to update TeraCopy's preferences to not replace the stock Windows copy routine. I will do the same each time I look for updates via Thor.

Thanks again and great work!!! Can you imagine if we had Thor ten years ago how productive we'd all have been in Visual FoxPro?

_____/ Regards,
____/ al

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Alex --

I am certainly glad you were able to resolve this problem with getting Thor installed. And thanks for letting us know of how it was resolved.

BTW, some of us are still lucky enough to be working full time in VFP!

--
Jim Nelson

(805) 498-9195 (preferred)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)
Aug 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM
LOL Don't rub it in, Jim! As much as I enjoy .NET development I miss the days of non-stop Visual FoxPro/Visual FoxExpress development! Something about that first love!!!

Enjoy!