PEM Editor SaveAs Function to Save Control as a New Class

Topics: Enhancement Request
Jun 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Hi

It would be nice if the functionality of the "SaveAs.app" was included in the PEM Editor. I do not know who developed this app originally but it has two operations: "Save as Top Level Class" and "Save As Current Control". If you choose "Top Level Class" it allows you to save a copy of the class you were working with a different name into the same vcx file or with the same name in an alternate vcx file. The same applied to the control you currently selected if you used "Current Control" as the action. The "Current Control" option also saved the contained controls in the case of a container.

Thank,
Simon
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I have never heard of "SaveAS.APP". It sounds very interesting, indeed. Please tell me more ... where do you get it from?
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Hi

I have attached a copy of the app. It puts a menu item in the main foxpro window titled "Class" and it has 3 options on the menu. I open a class using the class class browser then when I click on a control I can choose "Save As Current Control" to save the selected control into another class library etc. I downloaded this from somewhere in 2000 but I do not remember where I got it from.
Regards,
Simon White
dCipher Computing
705-721-3382
On 25/06/2013 10:58 AM, JimRNelson wrote:

From: JimRNelson

I have never heard of "SaveAS.APP". It sounds very interesting, indeed. Please tell me more ... where do you get it from?

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Simon --

I do not see the attachment.

Can you list the three options and indicate how they are different than the 'Save As' option under the "File" menu?
Developer
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Yes that is the one.
Regards,
Simon White
dCipher Computing
705-721-3382
On 25/06/2013 2:07 PM, joelleach wrote:

From: joelleach


Jun 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Edited Jun 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM
The "SaveAs" item is always disabled on my screen so I do not know how it works.
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Hi

Can you actually send attachments when using this discussion because I have twice and they do not show up?
Regards,
Simon White
dCipher Computing
705-721-3382
On 25/06/2013 12:14 PM, JimRNelson wrote:

From: JimRNelson

Simon --

I do not see the attachment.

Can you list the three options and indicate how they are different than the 'Save As' option under the "File" menu?

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Joel --

Yes, that looks like it.

It's really unfortunate that the zip only contains the APP, making it quite impossible to adapt in any way.

Jim
Jun 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Hi

I contacted the author and he is looking to see if he has the source code.
Regards,
Simon White
dCipher Computing
705-721-3382
On 25/06/2013 3:50 PM, JimRNelson wrote:

From: JimRNelson

Joel --

Yes, that looks like it.

It's really unfortunate that the zip only contains the APP, making it quite impossible to adapt in any way.

Jim

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Simon --

After a little research, it appears that the workhorse for this tool is the method SaveAsClass (something I did not know existed until now).

In fact, the following code snippet does the work manually:

? 0 # ASelObj(aa) or 0 #ASelObj(aa,1)
o = aa
o.SaveAsClass('SomeClassLib.vcx', 'SomeClassName')

Thus, even if you can't get the source code from the author, it should not be that hard to create a little form to handle this.

I expect to have a new Thor tool for this in the not too distant future.



--
Jim Nelson

(805) 498-9195 (preferred)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)
Jun 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM
That sounds good because I often use "Save As Current Control"
Regards,
Simon White
dCipher Computing
705-721-3382
On 25/06/2013 5:37 PM, JimRNelson wrote:

From: JimRNelson

Simon --

After a little research, it appears that the workhorse for this tool is the method SaveAsClass (something I did not know existed until now).

In fact, the following code snippet does the work manually:

? 0 # ASelObj(aa) or 0 #ASelObj(aa,1)
o = aa
o.SaveAsClass('SomeClassLib.vcx', 'SomeClassName')

Thus, even if you can't get the source code from the author, it should not be that hard to create a little form to handle this.

I expect to have a new Thor tool for this in the not too distant future.



--
Jim Nelson

(805) 498-9195 (preferred)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I have created a new Thor Tool, part of the Thor repository, which provides this "Save As Class" feature when editing classes.
Jun 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Thank-you that works perfectly.
Regards,
Simon White
dCipher Computing
705-721-3382
On 27/06/2013 11:10 AM, JimRNelson wrote:

From: JimRNelson

I have created a new Thor Tool, part of the Thor repository, which provides this "Save As Class" feature when editing classes.