ParallelFox on Windows 2008 R2 server with 2 physical Xeon Dual COre 3.0Ghz Processors

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Hi,

I ran parallelfox example steps_after with successful result on Windows 7. I want to run parallelfox through terminal services in Windows 2008 R2. The server has 4GB RAM and 2 physical Xeon Dual COre 3.0Ghz Processors. Still steps_after.prg takes more time(more than 26 sec) to run compared to steps_before.prg(about 25.75 sec) provided in the examples. Also when worker is started in debug mode, only one Parallel Worker window shows up other than the VFP IDE. Also DetectHyperthreading is returning .T. and CPUCount is returning 8. Please let me know why I am getting such abnormal behaviour.  The same program (steps_after.prg) on a Core 2 Duo starts 2 Parallel Worker windows other than VFP IDE.

Awaiting reply,

Ramachandra Bhat.

Developer
Oct 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Hi,

On a Terminal Server, ParallelFox defaults to using only one worker.  You can override that with the second parameter of the SetWorkerCount() method.  For example, if you wanted to use one worker per CPU on Terminal Servers and other computers, you would:

Parallel.SetWorkerCount(Parallel.CPUCount, Parallel.CPUCount)

Please read "Scalability and Performance" in the Help file for more on this subject.

Thanks,

Joel

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

thanks a lot !