Property Editor - New Feature: Move Property to Parent Class...

Developer
Nov 11, 2008 at 6:03 PM
How about this... I often work on refactoring my app and find that I want to move a Property or Method from the Form or Sub-Class that I am working on, and move it up into the Parent Class on which it is based.

So, could Property Editor possibly move them around like this?
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2008 at 6:34 PM
I don't think that's possible. When you have a class open right now, VFP can't modify the parent class, correct ("class in use" or something?)

So, my guess is it can't be done, even if we knew how.

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)
Feb 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM
Actualy feaw things are imposible jim and this is not one of them, i can think of a few ways, but they are way to "hazardware" i belive that this should be left to the developer to do.
One way that came to me: The app could create a "prg" with the changes to be dont to the parrent class, so the developer could run after the class designer (for the current class) is clossed and he opens the parrent class in the class designer (or simply the app could do that for him, close the class, open the parrent class, then close the parrent class and open the parrent class again) 
But then, what if the code in the subclass can't find properties or methods in the parrent class (that were in the subclass)?
Another way is by table level manipulation (sound awfull and it is) but nothing from that classlib can be open .. but its another way .. 

Please, don't take this as "arrogant" or somthing like that, it wasn't meant that way :) 
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM
When I said "can't be done", what I meant is that it can't be done cleanly and neatly within PEM Editor without using some "hazardware" tricks, as you call them.  I would not want to include any such end-arounds within PEM Editor.

And, I did not take your comment as arrogant at all. 

Thanks

Jim