Adding Themed Controls to 1->Many form

Topics: General
Oct 25, 2008 at 7:05 PM
I have just started trying to implement Themed Controls.  The look very cool.  I started with a basic form and got that to work.  Now I am trying to get a 1->many form with pageframes and grids and have a mess.  How do I approach this?  Is there documentation on how to use the different themed controls that I haven't found?  The "simple guide on how to use themed controls" was very helpful to get things started, but didn't really help here.  Thanks.
Developer
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:04 AM
Hi!
Please, could you give more details about what you're trying to do?
What "different themed controls" are you referring?
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM
I am trying to add themedcontrols to my existing projects. I have changed my form heirarchy so all forms inherit from themedforms. Most of my forms look great, but the forms I have with pageframes, pages and grids aren't displaying correctly. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Jack
PS Your work on this project is amazing, but I'm sure I still don't have a clue what can be done with Themedcontrols.

Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:05 AM
To: jackl@blackmountainsoftware.com
Subject: Re: Adding Themed Controls to 1->Many form [VFPX:38507]

Hi!
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:03 PM
Let me give you a clearer example. Create a form with themedform. Add a standard page frame, add a standard grid. The grid and pageframe aren't visible. What am I missing?

Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:05 AM

Hi!
Developer
Oct 28, 2008 at 4:51 PM
Ops, I think I know whats happening!
ThemedForm has a control named imgBackground that is responsible for the "themed background".
Maybe this control is in front of ZOrder, "hiding" your controls.
Try to select this object and send it to back.
Let me know if this solved your problem.

Regards,

Emerson
Oct 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM
Thanks that was it. This leads to another question, how do I get my objects in pageframes to take on themes?

Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:52 AM

Ops, I think I know whats happening!
ThemedForm has a control named imgBackground that is responsible for the "themed background".
Maybe this control is in front of ZOrder, "hiding" your controls.
Try to select this object and send it to back.
Let me know if this solved your problem.

Regards,

Emerson
Developer
Oct 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM
All objects in your app (except ThemedControls) will always follow the current Windows theme.
ThemedControls can or cannot follow the Windows theme depending on _Screen.ThemesManager.InheritWindowsTheme property setting.
If you want the same theme for all controls, I recommend that you set InheritWindowsTheme property to .T.
If you force a theme using _Screen.ThemesManager.ActiveTheme property, your controls will follow one theme and ThemedControls will follow another one.
Oct 28, 2008 at 7:52 PM
I think I understand that, but if you did the following:
Create a themedform
Drop a label on the form and make it transparent
Drop a pageframe on the themedform
The label will allow the theme to show through, but the pageframe won't. Is there a way to make a pageframe (or a grid for that matter) show the theme in the same way that a transparent label does.
Thanks for the help. Is there documentation anywhere that describes more about this project? I have looked at the sample and the implementation notes.

Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:31 PM

All objects in your app (except ThemedControls) will always follow the current Windows theme.
ThemedControls can or cannot follow the Windows theme depending on _Screen.ThemesManager.InheritWindowsTheme property setting.
If you want the same theme for all controls, I recommend that you set InheritWindowsTheme property to .T.
If you force a theme using _Screen.ThemesManager.ActiveTheme property, your controls will follow one theme and ThemedControls will follow another one.
Oct 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM
I am still stuck on themedcontrols and page frames. If I create a themedform and drop a standard foxpro page frame on the form I get no themes in the page frame. Should I be using a themed control for/with the page frame. Thanks.
Jack

Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:31 PM

ThemedControls can or cannot follow the Windows theme depending on _Screen.ThemesManager.InheritWindowsTheme property setting.
If you want the same theme for all controls, I recommend that you set InheritWindowsTheme property to .T.
If you force a theme using _Screen.ThemesManager.ActiveTheme property, your controls will follow one theme and ThemedControls will follow another one.
Developer
Oct 31, 2008 at 1:35 PM
>> The label will allow the theme to show through, but the pageframe won't. Is there a way to make a pageframe (or a grid for that matter) show the theme in the same way that a transparent label does.

I think there isn't a native way do this with pageframes or grids.

>> Thanks for the help. Is there documentation anywhere that describes more about this project? I have looked at the sample and the implementation notes.

I have plans to enhance documentation in the future.
But I can't say exactly when I'll have some time available to do this.

If you need more help, feel free to contact me again.

Regards.
Developer
Oct 31, 2008 at 3:41 PM
Hi Jack!

>> I am still stuck on themedcontrols and page frames.

Have you seen my previous answer to your questions?

>> If I create a themedform and drop a standard foxpro page frame on the form I get no themes in the page frame.

If you are referring to the normal windows theme in vfp native controls, check if the Themes pageframe property is set to .T.

>> Should I be using a themed control for/with the page frame

There isn't a themed pageframe in ThemedControls.
I'm thinking about to create one, but this is still just a thought.

Regards.
Oct 31, 2008 at 3:45 PM
Sorry I got your reply just after I sent this one. Just to let you know I have been working with the Outlook Nav control to make a treeview menu within a Nav bar. I'm getting close. I think it is going to be a big improvement for out apps, which have a full tree for the menu now. Thanks.

Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 9:42 AM

Hi Jack!

>> I am still stuck on themedcontrols and page frames.

Have you seen my previous answer to your questions?

>> If I create a themedform and drop a standard foxpro page frame on the form I get no themes in the page frame.

If you are referring to the normal windows theme in vfp native controls, check if the Themes pageframe property is set to .T.

>> Should I be using a themed control for/with the page frame

There isn't a themed pageframe in ThemedControls.
I'm thinking about to create one, but this is still just a thought.

Regards.
Nov 9, 2008 at 10:55 PM
Emerson,
I figured out a way to add images to pages on a pageframe. I created a control that was an image control that had the same properties as the image control on the themedform, and the init contained the same logic as the init in the themedform that inits the imagebackground. I added a LoopthroughControls method to my forms to find a page, and add my image control (with zorder set to 1 and visible = .t., in addition to the normal properties). Everything looks great. Thanks.
Jack

Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 7:36 AM

>> The label will allow the theme to show through, but the pageframe won't. Is there a way to make a pageframe (or a grid for that matter) show the theme in the same way that a transparent label does.

I think there isn't a native way do this with pageframes or grids.

>> Thanks for the help. Is there documentation anywhere that describes more about this project? I have looked at the sample and the implementation notes.

I have plans to enhance documentation in the future.
But I can't say exactly when I'll have some time available to do this.

If you need more help, feel free to contact me again.

Regards.
Developer
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:02 AM
Hi Jack!

>> I figured out a way to add images to pages on a pageframe.

But you can only "theme" the page background.
You cannot "theme" the tabs.
Am I right?
Nov 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Correct.

Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 5:02 AM

Hi Jack!

>> I figured out a way to add images to pages on a pageframe.

But you can only "theme" the page background.
You cannot "theme" the tabs.
Am I right?