NewProperty/Method Dialog

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:00 PM
Hello,
I have been using the New Property/Method Dialog and it works good, thanks for your great work.

I am having a problem when I add a new method. Sometimes it will add the new method in the middle of the default methods instead of at the end of the method list where all my custom methods are normally listed.

Is there a way to fix adding a new method to always add it to the bottom of the list after ZORDER method ?

Thanks,
Kent
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2008 at 6:00 PM
Hi Kent.

The reason they don't appear at the end of the list is that the list is sorted alphabetically. If you want your method to come at the end of the list, start them with a lower-case letter rather than a capital.

Doug
Sep 29, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Hello Doug,
Thanks for your help, I feel kind of stupid now that I did not realize that. Makes perfect sense now.

Thanks again for all your work in the Fox community,
Kent
Oct 18, 2008 at 5:44 PM
Doug;

Thanks for this fabulous tool.

I agree it would be great to have a visual queue indicating which methods and properties are added. I believe I saw someone at SWFox who modified the tool to make added properties bold or colored. Would it be possible to fold this feature into future releases of the core tool?

Michael
Developer
Oct 18, 2008 at 10:21 PM
Edited Oct 18, 2008 at 10:24 PM
I have mentioned an idea to Doug to make the custom ones be in BOLD. That really helps them stand out from the native ones.

I implemented this on my machine simply by adding !lnative to grdMembers.column1

Works great.
Developer
Oct 18, 2008 at 10:21 PM
Edited Oct 18, 2008 at 10:23 PM
oops... ignore double post.
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2008 at 3:51 AM
And my suggestion is to add a column to the Edit Properties/Methods that shows the custom properties -- and then be able to sort on that column.

I have done that with my own version, and then have the list always sorted that way .... I find that I'm much more likely to be interested in the custom items than the others.

Jim
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2008 at 11:46 AM
An extension of my earlier suggestion:

There's plenty of real estate on the right side of Edit Properties / methods.  I'd like to see two opttionboxes there which act as filters on the items shown:

(1)   Custom / non-custom (native?) / All

(2)   Properties Only / Methods Only / All

and I think these selections should be persistent.
Developer
Oct 20, 2008 at 1:17 PM
Edited Oct 20, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Jim – I would like to have that capability also. Can you please post the changes you made to the source files to add that extra column and add the sorting capability?

I’m not sure exactly how use users are supposed to be able to upload changes to the code, so maybe you can either post the code, or add the files somewhere that they can be downloaded?

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2008 at 1:35 PM
Matt --

I'd love to make these changes available.

However, I think this should be handled thru VFPX, so that rather than me posting my changes to you personally, somebody within VFPX who is responsible for this project should be given the changes so that they could determine whether to include them for everybody to use.

In any case, glad you think this would be of value to you as well
Developer
Oct 20, 2008 at 7:26 PM
I agree with that logic.  However, that is a part of this CodePlex / VPFx model that I don't understand yet...

Where do you send your code?
Who can send code?
Who decides what get in and what does not?

I suppose that is what the Issue Tracker is for.  I think when something gets entered as an "Issue" it gets a tracking number assigned to it, it has a status, it gets voted on, etc.

Here is an issue that I created about the BOLD request that I had for this project... http://www.codeplex.com/VFPX/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=19042

I'm going to ask them to help us understand this better.
Developer
Oct 20, 2008 at 8:01 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2008 at 3:13 AM

FYI - Here is a copy of a message I sent to Craig Boyd asking for guidance on how us average developers can contribute to the projects on VFPx…

---------------------------------------------------------------

I (we) need some help here... There is a part of this CodePlex / VFPFx model that I don't understand yet...

Myself and others have each made our own changes to the New Property Editor project that we'd like to see in the official version on VFPx. We are both scratching our heads about how to get this in the official product.

Where do you send your code?

Who can send code?

Who decides what get in and what does not?

I see that there is a finite list of Coordinators and Developers listed on the VFPx People page, but I know the projects really belong to everyone, so I'm just trying to understand how that is supposed to play out in reality.

We've posted lots of Discussion posts on VFPx about what we've each done to our own versions of the source code, but we don't know what to do next to get these things into the real version.

Please help us know what to do next so that we can really contribute here. I don't want to just sit by and hope one of the Developers picks up on the discussions and adds that into the product. Surely there is a more absolute way of affecting the project than that.

How about if you made a blog post so the whole community could better understand how this is supposed to flow.

Coordinator
Oct 21, 2008 at 2:59 AM
It will be good to get a response -- altho, with SW Fox just completed, there might not be time to respond immediately.

My own code is based on what was released at SW Fox last year, and I see that the most recent release is July this year.

My guess is that if we collaborated and provided an update, along with documentation, and provided this to VFPX, somebody would incorporate it into a release for everybody else.  In the meantime, we'd both have what we want.

I'd be willing to start this ... I see the following enhancements (there might be more):

(1)  Bold for custom properties / methods

(2)  Extra column to show custom properties / methods

(3)  Click on column headings to sort (not sure -- this might already be there)

(4)  Optiongroup to set a filter:  Custom / non-custom (called native?) / Both

(5)  Optiongroup to set a filter:  Properties / Methods / Both

(6)  Save settings for (3) (4) and (5)

Jim
Developer
Oct 21, 2008 at 3:16 AM
(7) Double-Click on a Method to see the code in an edit window. Or at least a see it in a read-only window if you can't launch a live edit window. Perhaps this would only work if it is a custom-added method, not a native one.
Coordinator
Oct 21, 2008 at 3:27 AM
Double-click to edit methods:

Wow, what a great idea!

The others are all straightforward.  That would be fun!
Coordinator
Oct 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Hi Jim and Matt.

It was nice meeting you both at Southwest Fox. Although I didn't have a chance to chat with Jim, it was greating talking to you, Matt.

All of the VFPX admins are still in Arizona right now (just a coincidence) so responses will be a little slow.

Thanks for the suggestions; this is the best place to post them. For source code changes you've made, send them to the project manager (in this case, me) to be included in the project. I actually have a new build of the New and Edit Property/Method replacement dialogs that fixes a couple of minor bugs, but I'll wait until you send me your changes before I post it.

Doug
Coordinator
Oct 21, 2008 at 3:11 PM
Doug --

I'm on vacation as well  (in Sedona).

Since my modifications were to an earlier version (last October), I'll be downloading the new version within the next few days and make modifications to it, and then send them all to you.  I would guess this would be in a week or two.

Jim

Developer
Oct 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM
Edited Oct 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM
Doug - You said "For source code changes you've made, send them to the project manager (in this case, me)..."

Exactly how should we send them?  Zip up the whole thing just like we received it, with our changes made to the classes and forms? Then what, send the Zip in an a-mail, or upload it here on the CodePlex site using that Source Code check-in stuff?

I do not see a direct basic upload mechanism here on the site, but I do see some instructions on "Source control client connection instructions" .  As for me, I'm just a beginner with this Open Source developer model, so the Source Control Check-in process is certainly new (and a little scary) to me.  However, I'm anxious to learn how to contribute, so just help me learn more specifically what to do.

I'm sure we could all just post some code changes that we've made right here in a message for the really simple stuff, but that doesn't seems like the intended workflow of real community development of CodePlex projects.

By the way, your Contact page here on CodePlex (Click on the People tab) says, "Prefers not to be contacted."  Do you mean to have it configured that way?

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2008 at 3:57 PM
Doug --

It turns out I was able to spent some time on this, and the changes were easier than expected.

I have a new version of NewEditPropertyDialog.App.  It has the following features
  • Two new columns in grid:
    • "Hierarchy" -- displays "Native" for items defined in baseclass, "Inherited" for items defined in sub-class, "Custom" for items defined in current form/class.  (Not sure this terminology is correct ...)
    • "Favorites"
  • Column Sorting:
    • Clicking on column header sorts by the column (not necessarily alphabetical -- a more logical order, where appropriate)
    • Clicking a second time on same column order reverses sort. (except for the first column -- name)
    • Sorting on a different column preserves previous order as a secondary / tertiary sort (etc.)
  • Filtering:
    • Can filter on Properties Only / Methods Only / all
    • Can filter on Native Only / Inherited Only / Custom only / all
  • Following states are preserved in subsequent instances of Edit Property:
    • Sort Columns
    • Column Order
    • Column Widths
    • Filters
Three items not yet addressed:
  • Does not seem to install itself correctly if re-installed from a different directory
  • Suggestion for making some rows bold (if not Native) not implemented.  This is more of a wait-and-see; perhaps it is not necessary given the other options
  • Suggestion for double-clicking an item to get to method editor not implemented.  Not idea how to pursue this one.
I'm ready to provide you with all my changes, and would be willing to send them along to other to test as well.  However, I do not know how to go about doing this, so I will await further direction from you.

Jim Nelson
Developer
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM
Edited Oct 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM
Doug - I would think this would happen any way, but let me walk through this...

When you add these changes we've been discussing to the Property and Method Replacement tool, wouldn't it be wise to have new version first be released into the "Release Candidates" or "Beta Releases" category, as Version 2.0 Beta, or something? That way the current Production Release (ver 1.0?) could remain as a known stable Release, and the new version coud be released as ver 2.0 Beta.  That way, all the willing folks could download and use it as a beta, but others may want to skip it, and choose the original Production Release until all the testing and feedback of the Ver 2.0 Beta is complete. Then, at some point after a few months of Beta feedback, it can be bumped up to the official Production Release, and the current one can then be removed from the site.

Also, it would be a great way to show off the dynamics of the CodePlex / VFPx project model.  I think we could get some bew buzz on all the forums off of the annoucement of a Ver 2.0 Beta of this powerful tool.

We would also need to update the video that is on your site.... I will offer to help with (i.e. make) the video. (Oh my goodnes, I can't believe I just said that. I've never made a video like that before, but I am sure I could figure it out).

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:52 PM
Matt --

You volunteered to do a video?  Good for you!

Developer
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Yeah, for 2.0 Beta, when it I get a copy to play with…. :)

Waiting on my Beta copy…

By the way, you know Doug already made a video for the current release, right?

From the VFPx site… “A video is available at http://www.stonefield.com/videos/newprop/new%20propertymethod.wmv that shows these dialogs in action.”

So, at least I have something to work with as a starting point. I just want to make sure that all the screenshots will look like the 2.0 version, with all the new stuff on it.