Foxcharts beginner - fell at the first hurdle!

Topics: General
Jun 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I've just tried to start using Foxcharts, and decided the best way was to run the samples in the documentation.

But it says in Section 4: "Each of the samples uses a form 'BlankSample.vcx' in the 'Samples' folder" - but this file is not there, nor anywhere else in the unzipped FoxCharts_1.20.zip file.  I tried running the code in section 4.1.2 in a program (it does create the Foxcharts object, after all) but it throws an "Unhandled Structural Error" in _beforedraw, line 225, with no details as to what the problem is.  Trying to single-step to this is a nightmare, and  I haven't managed to find why it's Catching an error.  <Ignore> to the error lets it carry on and results in a blank form.

If I run the Demo, from Demostart.prg, trying to run the 1st item (Main Charts Sample) crashes VFP!  ("Microsoft Visual FoxPro has encountered a problem and needs to close...") so my confidence is pretty shaky at the moment.

So all in all, I haven't managed to even run the simplest Sample yet - and I only want to do simple bar & pie charts - hopefully this weekend!

The documentation seems to do a good job, but the missing file that the samples rely on is a serious obstacle.

How do I get going with this, please?

I'm running XP SP3, VFP 9.0 SP2, and trying to run FoxCharts 1.2.

Cheers, Howard

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Howard --

I am not sure what the problem is. I wrote the documentation you are reading, back in 2009, and it was accurate then. I do not know what happened to BlankSample.VCX, nor can I find a copy of my own. 

I just tried DemoStart.PRG and it worked without any problems.

There are quite a few sample forms in that folder. I suggest you run any one of them ("Do Form ...") and when you find one that looks like what you are interested in, open up the form to edit it. Most of them are quite simple.

I am sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Howard,

Try to get the latest version  = 1.32 from VFPX first.

Regards,

Koen