This project is read-only.

FoxCharts v.45 : problems with rotated X axis legends

Topics: Bug Information
Aug 25, 2008 at 11:13 PM
1.    When the X axis legends are rotated, they partially overlap the area where the actual graph is.
2.    The main X axis title is also overlapped by the legends.
3.    As mentioned elsewhere I think, the rotated legends don't align exactly with the bar/point/whatever that they relate to.  The legends start off looking allright towards the left of the axis but drift more and more away from the correct position as they are drawn further to the right.
Sep 8, 2008 at 1:44 AM
hello,

i'm new to the site and noticed this post refers to foxcharts v.45.  in the downloads list however, it only says v.40.  where can i get v.45?

thanks,

jc
Sep 8, 2008 at 4:36 AM
The latest (and possibly unstable) versions are here : http://www.codeplex.com/VFPX/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=15318.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:38 AM
Edited Sep 8, 2008 at 4:39 AM
Hi JC,

In fact, people from the community, specially those that often visit the VFPX website have been providing a HUGE help testing FoxCharts. To make it easier to test the most recent version I am working on, I've created a special kind of release, in "Planned" status, that you can reach directly from here:
http://www.codeplex.com/VFPX/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=15318

The versions you'll find there are not usually stable and trustable to work with.
But if you want, you can download it and test the new features that we are planning for the next release, and report some possible issues you find and also give your opinion about the new features, and obviosuly, ask for some features.

RajNZ,
Thanks for reporting, I hope to deal with this problem soon.

Thanks

Cesar
Sep 10, 2008 at 4:07 AM
Hi RajNZ,

>>1.    When the X axis legends are rotated, they partially overlap the area where the actual graph is.
>>2.    The main X axis title is also overlapped by the legends.
>>3.    As mentioned elsewhere I think, the rotated legends don't align exactly with the bar/point/whatever that they relate to.  The legends start off
>> looking allright towards the left of the axis but drift more and more away from the correct position as they are drawn further to the right.

In fact, this behavior is by design.

You can choose how you want to rotate your legends, in many ways.
First thing, you need to define the alignment of your legend. I'm quite sure you were using "Center" alignment. Try using "left" or "right" alignment, and you'll see better results.
Here's how you can setup foxcharts to behave the way you want:

1 - Run ChartsSample_New.scx
2 - Select any Bar Chart
3 - Select the "Legends" Page in the PgFrame, then, select "Axis2" in the OptionGroup
4 - Select "Alignment" to "Right" or "Left" NOT CENTER !!!
5 - Play with the "Rotation Angle" spinner.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Hope this helps

Cesar
Sep 14, 2008 at 11:54 PM
Hi Cesar,

Your suggestion of changing the alignment to "Left" fixes the problem.
It seems odd though that right or centre aligning it would overlap the graph, surely the bounding box for the legend should be from the top of the X Axis Title (left boundary) to the X axis itself (right boundary)?

Thanks.
Paul