More FLLs please

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Edited Feb 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I just looked at the VFP2C32 FLL library here and it's amazing, especially the CreateThreadObject to create VFP threads!

This really IS the way to extend Foxpro IMO.

Some of the FLLs that Craig Boyd did were really amazing too (why are they not in VFPx??)

My real point is that writing FLLs should really be encouraged if we're going to keep VFP on the cutting edge.  We should not let FLLs be a dying art!!

Developer
Feb 17, 2012 at 5:05 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Hello Claude,

thanks for the kind words.

Craig's FLL's indeed are very good! I used a couple of them (e.g. vfpencryption.fll) while working for my last employer.

FLL writing isn't very popular these days, actually it never was.
The are just a handful of FLL's at all.

It's understandable though:
- you're specifically writing the code for just one language - VFP.
when writing COM objects in C++ for example they can be used from a variety of languages - old VB, VFP, any .NET language or even PHP on windows.
- documentation and examples for the FLL functions are weak - I've written a hole class library (vfp2ccppapi.h/cpp) wrapping the FLL functions to make them half way pleasent to work with
- there probably aren't many people interested in extending VFP which have the necessary C(++) skills  

I have stopped active development of VFP2C32 a long time ago, since I rarely work with VFP anymore.
I'll just do small enhancements or bug fixes.

I'll release a new project called VFPSrvHost - a tiny C++ executable capable of running VFP COM classes as a windows service - in the coming weeks
and that'll probably be my last contribution to the VFP community.

Greetings 

Christian

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Thank you for this valuable contribution!!

Craig Boyd did a series of articles on FLL development in one of the FoxPro magazines.  That should be made public for everyone!!!   If anybody knows if these articles are online, I think everyone would appreciate the link... or, if not, make them available for the community, please..