This project is read-only.

FoxCharts -- how do you handle missing data?

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:54 AM
How do you provide for missing data?  I need to have a chart with the months along the X-Axis, and the data for the last three years represented by three lines.  Problem is that the data for two years ago began in April -- so, that line should simply start in April, not January.   Use nulls work?        
Jul 2, 2008 at 6:13 AM
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your post.
I really didn't think of that.
I'll make some few tweaks to make it work with this case.

For the case of bars chart, you may pass the "0"- ZERO value at this moment.
For Pie charts, this is not needed

I presume that this situation only occurs in line charts, am I right ? In this case, you'd like to have the first line starting from the first available data, and not starting from ZERO, have I really understood what you meant ?

Hope to hear from you soon !
Jul 2, 2008 at 11:25 AM
Yes, indeed, I'm interested in line charts, and I want the data fore each line to start with the first available data, and end with the last available data ... not starting or ending with zero.

Come to think of it, there should be a way to handle missing interior points on each line as well.  Perhaps the line should just connect the points to the left and right of the missing data.

Thanks,    
Aug 12, 2008 at 1:43 AM
Cesar --

Just a reminder about this little item about null data.  I have some charts that will take advantage of it whenever its available.
Aug 12, 2008 at 4:42 AM
Thanks Jim,

What is your suggestion for this case ?
Accept NULL values in the SourceCUrsor.nValue field ?

I Also thought of adding a new Property - "StartingData" and "EndingData", but I think this might be confusing...

What's your opinion ?
Do you have a better suggestion ?

The drawing part and its logic is the most simple part... I'd like to know how would be the best way to pass this information to FoxCharts.

TIA !
Aug 12, 2008 at 5:26 AM
Cesar --

The example I have is as follows:

The Horizontal axis are the months from January to December

The Vertical axis are sales figures.

The lines (or bars) give the sales, by month for each year.   2005, 2006, 2007 are all complete.  2008 only has data for January thru July.

Thus, the column for in the cursor for 2008 would be .Null. for the last five rows.

The line for 2008 would terminate at July.

Note that it would be possible in this case, that there might be missing data for the first year.  If the first sale was in May, 2005, the first four rows would be .Null. in that column.

If drawing lines, I would suggest not drawing a line to or from a data point that is .Null.

For bars, it's easier -- just no bar if the data is .Null.

Hope this helps.
Aug 20, 2008 at 4:51 AM
DONE !

Now you can pass NULL values to FoxCharts.
Thanks for the suggestions !
Aug 20, 2008 at 1:36 PM
where do I get this?

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:54 PM, VfpImaging <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

DONE !

Now you can pass NULL values to FoxCharts.
Thanks for the suggestions !

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:08 PM
I've just updated the "Planned Release 0.45 Beta", that you have already downloaded from here:
http://www.codeplex.com/VFPX/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=15318

I've been putting my latest working releases, that are not always stable there, with the status "Planned". This way, people that make requests, give suggestions and the curious ones can play with thelatest version I have, in order to provide feedback and help improving the class.

Thanks !

Cesar
Aug 27, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Cesar --

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

Have been on vacation, returned late Sunday.

Too busy so far this week to even think about FoxCharts; perhaps tomorrow or Friday, if not, then this weekend.

Cheers

Jim Nelson
(805) 498-9195 (voice + fax)
(720) 837-3536 (cell)

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM, VfpImaging <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I've just updated the "Planned Release 0.45 Beta", that you have already downloaded from here:
http://www.codeplex.com/VFPX/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=15318

I've been putting my latest working releases, that are not always stable there, with the status "Planned". This way, people that make requests, give suggestions and the curious ones can play with thelatest version I have, in order to provide feedback and help improving the class.

Thanks !

Cesar

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VFPX@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com