Vfp and SqlServer Compact

Topics: New Project Idea
Developer
Sep 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM
Edited Sep 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Provide a free SqlServer database backend for VFP in low/mid-low size applications, with the following benefits:

• reg-free , just copy and run server
  • admin free SqlServer data environment
  • Easy data backup ( just one .sdf file )
  • Complete installation files less than 10mb

Components:

• Multithreaded VFP Server , listening on a tcp port between sqlSever Ce database and vfp-xml based clients, with compression, encryption and secured session support.
  • Client Library manages secured connections to the server, compression , xml transformation and xml diffgram processing over vfp cursors.
  • Easy to use library for vfp applications for using SqlserverCe in local data
  • SqlserverCe upsizing tool.
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Are you proposing a new project? If so, please see the information near the bottom of the home page for details on how to submit your proposal. Thanks.

Doug

Developer
Sep 6, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Doug – FYI… Back in the Spring when I submitted my proposal for GoFish 4 to the “projects AT vfpx.comaddress that is listed on the Home page of VFPX, I got back an email error saying that it did not go through. I notified Rick of this and wound up just sending the completed proposal template directly to him.

It might be worth confirming that email address really works to ensure a seamless flow for any new project submissions.

- Matt

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:49 AM
To: mattslay@jordanmachine.com
Subject: Re: Vfp and SqlServer Compact [VFPX:271418]

Are you proposing a new project? If so, please see the information near the bottom of the home page for details on how to submit your proposal. Thanks.

Doug

Developer
Sep 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM
Edited Sep 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Hi Dough, yes, I've came up with this idea, and posted to see what others on the community think about it before diving into deep. It could be made in pure vfp with winsock ( don' knot scalability issues ) or a .net self-hosted service with com interop.

It could provide an extensible framework ( i.e. refining and integrating something like eeva web server ) that would make extremely easy for vfp developers to implement vfp scripting and xml web services.

Many Vfp developers don't need a full sql server installation or iis, but need to provide remote connections and a secure database. That´s something that .net already has with wcf and sqlserver compact.

It would open the door to any vfp developer for web technologies ( html/jquery/javascript ), ado ( if they want to ) , and sqlserver , taking apart the implementation and distribution issues, al in a single small package.

Marco.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Marco

Sorry but I dont see what this gives us above MS SQL Compact?

Regards

Developer
Sep 7, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Edited Sep 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Hi Hawkswoth, MsSql Compact is a local db. You can't share the sdf file to have multiuser access across the network, does not support stored procedures  and lacks security management.

But it allows up to 256 local connections ( same local application or multiple applications on the same machine can have up to 256 connection to the local db - though MS recommends up to 100 concurrent connections - ).

Said that, we can make a multithreaded vfp server  to allow easy multiuser implementation of sqlsever compact, with support for vfp remote procedure calls and security.

Just copy 7-8mb files, run and go, you have a low size sql server backend with full vfp stored procedure support.

On the web browser support please refer to http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?wiki~WebServerInFoxPro~VFP.

Regards

Marco