This project is read-only.

GDIPlusX and Vista

Topics: General, Bug Information, Attention VFPX Admins
Mar 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM
Hello,
I have an VFP9 SP1 application that I am testing on Vista. It is a very basic app but does display pictures in many places using the image control. I am using GDIPlusX to do some image resizing and scaling.

The program starts up fine but after a while the Vista desktop goes crazy and the windows task bar freaks out. The shortcut icons on the task bar dissapear, the time disappears, and any applications that are running, their icon shifts to the left.

The app works fine on XP,
Does anyone know of any problems with Vista and VFP9 apps with images and GDIPlusX ?

Thanks for your help,
Kent

Mar 14, 2008 at 10:54 PM
I've seem the same thing. I haven't figured out the cause yet.

Someone else mentioned to me that they see it too and think the cause is a timer that fires every 0.75 seconds and updates the caption of a form with the current time, caps lock state, etc. Disabling the timer prevents the problem from happening for them. In my case, although I use timers for various things, I'm not updating any captions with it. Also, I make little use of GDI+ in this application, so I don't think that's related.

To make things even more difficult, it only happens to me occasionally. I was seeing it about once or twice a week, but since upgrading to Vista SP1, I haven't seen it happen at all.

Very mysterious!

Doug
Mar 15, 2008 at 8:44 PM
Hello Doug,
Thanks for the help and the clue. I do have a timer on the main menu that updates the form.caption with the current date and time.
I disabled the timer and the app seems to be working better with Vista. I have had it running for about 8 hours and no problems (yet).

I really appreciate your posting this info, as I would have never guessed that may be the problem.
I will report back if the problem happens again, but so far so good.

Thanks again for your help,
Kent
Mar 19, 2008 at 1:01 AM
It's a Windows Vista problem, but there is a solution, take a look at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932406

Just install it and it will go away.