Feedback

Developer
Feb 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM
Just curious, how many people are using this site and the projects on it? There have been a lot of downloads, but not a lot of issues or enhancement requests. I think if there were more feedback, we could get more people involved in the existing projects and get more projects to come onboard.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, let us know. If you are having trouble accessing this site let one of the admins know or send me an email at gdiplusx@moxiedata.com.
Mar 8, 2008 at 12:32 PM
I am using it every now and then and try to follow the projects. The projects are really really cool but I had the feeling there is actually not much happening.
So far, I am currently working almost 24/7 on my projects and could not make much use of e.g. the Tab-menu but I am greatly looking forward to doing so. Then, more feeedback will be coming - definitely.

Last week I did some nice things with the new GDIPlusX. That class is amazing and I can finally do things I have been longing for such a long time. Now I need to get to learn how to utilize it more and "see" the new possibilities. The first "how could I possibly ..." has been posted to the forum ....

Regards

F.
Developer
Mar 9, 2008 at 3:49 PM
Bo,

I'm visiting regularly but definitely know we have to make it easier to make some of these updates.

In particular, I'm wondering about possible changes to the VFPSource stuff. Is there a better process for administering these changes?

For example, I have some useful ideas on how to make TastList or other items like that more useful, but what is the process? Do we actually have to go about submitting another proposal for it or can we jump right in?

Know what I mean?
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 12:38 AM

Akselsoft wrote:
In particular, I'm wondering about possible changes to the VFPSource stuff. Is there a better process for administering these changes?

There is a project proposal in the works for "VFPX Deployment", but it needs to be flushed out spec wise. Some of the issues are huge, like how do you manage a single installer for all the projects and how do you schedule the releases when there is work going on at various rates for any of the projects. Not an easy problem to solve. Even with XSource you could have a dozen or more APPs and all the work going on for any of them.

I was hoping someone would start this conversation {g}.
Developer
Mar 10, 2008 at 3:09 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2008 at 4:21 AM

Akselsoft wrote:
I'm visiting regularly but definitely know we have to make it easier to make some of these updates.

Do you mean checkins? The current SCCI provider is very slow. Which gave me the impression that all of CodePlex was slow. I recently downloaded TeampriseExplorer and I was amazed at how fast it was:(http://www.teamprise.com/product/explorer_client.html) they have a very nice TFS Explorer Client and they offer a free license for use with CodePlex. It took me about 2 hours to add the Reporting apps to source control using the SCCI provider (integrated with VFP project). I used Teamprise to put ALL of the other XSource projects into source control and it only took about 20 mins.

Of course the down side with disconnected source control is that you loose the auto generation of the SCA and VCA comparison files. But since GDIPlusX is mostly PRGs, I may just deal with it to save myself hours of updating. I'd rather be coding. ;-)

For example, I have some useful ideas on how to make TastList or other items like that more useful, but what is the process? Do we actually have to go about submitting another proposal for it or can we jump right in?

Know what I mean?

I think we need a go-to person for each project in VFPSource. Just to make sure it's not wide open editing and someone who can manage what goes in, and when. I am open to any ideas, fixes, etc. for the Reporting APPs, but we have to make sure any changes made to it do not make it unstable for the next release.
Developer
Mar 10, 2008 at 3:17 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2008 at 3:18 AM

There is a project proposal in the works for "VFPX Deployment", but it needs to be flushed out spec wise. Some of the issues are huge, like how do you manage a single installer for all the projects and how do you schedule the releases when there is work going on at various rates for any of the projects. Not an easy problem to solve. Even with XSource you could have a dozen or more APPs and all the work going on for any of them.

This sounds like a lot of work and could make it more restrictive. (Scheduled releases vs. instant updates) Especially when a lot of the projects are not very active. I can see where it would make it easier for someone to grab everything by having a single installer, but I wouldn't want to download the whole thing just to get a patch for GDIPlusX. I also would not want to force an update on one library I've already tested just to get an update on another library that I need.

I was hoping someone would start this conversation {g}.

Should we start a new thread?
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 5:00 PM

I think we need a go-to person for each project in VFPSource. Just to make sure it's not wide open editing and someone who can manage what goes in, and when. I am open to any ideas, fixes, etc. for the Reporting APPs, but we have to make sure any changes made to it do not make it unstable for the next release.

I agree. Although VFPSource is set up as one CodePlex project, it really needs to be one CodePlex project per VFP project.