Visual Foxpro crossplateform CGI engine only

Topics: General, Attention VFPX Admins
Feb 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2008 at 2:10 PM
There is different issues for programmers. The GUI / Desktop and/or the WEB. I have left a while ago the Desktop approach for many reasons (no need to argue here) but I do use Visual Foxpro as my "best for sure" CGI powerful easy engine. Of course I have tried other languages but Xbase Foxpro is really the easiest/fastest.
Why ? simply because I don't deal with company looking for trillions mega bytes tables, no need for complex data management, no need for mega servers in fact no need for much after all ! But don't get me wrong those companies are extremely successful and my solutions have thousands of code lines !

VFP is dead we know that now (finally) but who cares since the future is web based only solutions so I am 100% positive that a real WEB/Xbase Foxpro solution will succeed in the same way that other succeeded like PHP.

Most of web applications are basic and done "by a friend of a friend" or simply downloaded as free package. To create a web application you won't use foxpro anyways but Microsoft Expression (ex frontpage) or else. This will create the fancy part, html, javascript, Ajax ... but on the tables/databases management side what do you have besides SQL with connection, object to connect and so on "where are the simple : use client - append blank- replace - locate - seek ???!!"

The key relies in FOXPRO ! Yes FOXPRO ! Keep all the best and give it to the WEB using the Language/history reputation, let's focus on the 100 key functions we really need, create free tables, super speed engine, delete, append, store... connection with VB objects (like aspsmartmail) and the best (and VFP9 is enough) a "report print as PDF/RTF..." included.
Create this Engine as a crossplateform (Windows, Linux) and you'll see ! Foxbase was the success in the 80's try, launched vfpxweb and will see. Not much to do VFP is already used for the web but it needs to become a dedicated programming language for the web like it started for DOS. Going Unicode and no table limit will help for sure !

Who can claim to be all in one for the WEB ! Language, databases/tables,reporting, look around and you will find "one part solution" product but you'll need to install this one too and so on, ASP ok but wish database and with what Crystal report ?, or PHP with MySQL or Postgress and what to create reports ?, ... No other solution is better adapted for small / Medium web application today. Easy to maintain, 100% reliable.

If this is possible I believe we have a solution for VFP's future. This forum Web structure will be exactly adapted for direct Foxpro command using foxpro database/table. ActiveVFP will be the right way to move on with this idea.

JC
Feb 10, 2008 at 3:49 PM
I agree with your opinion.

We can keep "running the fox" for deskstop or on the Web.

Luis María Guayán
Tucumán, Argentina
Feb 10, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Edited Feb 10, 2008 at 5:58 PM
{quote}
I just signed your petition I didn't know about it.
I am sure that Microsoft is more open than we think but they have a new strategy, trying to buy Yahoo shows that they are now focusing mainly on the web as their future "main" income !
For that to be a success and stay competitive in this industry, Microsoft needs to cut cost, that is probably why VFP is stopped but please note that they do keep a backdoor option thru VFPX ! Why ? To be nice ! No, this will bring new ideas, free development and allow them to check how strong is the VFP market / Community. That's what I see.
Anyways we'll know more once they'll decide to "completely release" the VFP source as "open" wish seems obvious for a product definitly stopped , OR they won't !

All the best on your side, if I can do anything to help, I'll be happy to do so.