GDIPlusX: file names proposal

Developer
Nov 16, 2007 at 8:08 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2007 at 8:11 PM
Could we please have all the GDIPlusX files start with the same prefix, so one can see at a glance which files belong to it, like :

gdiplusx_constants.h
gdiplusx.vct
gdiplusx_system_drawing_drawing2d.prg
gdiplusx_system_drawing.h
gdiplusx_system_drawing_imaging.prg
gdiplusx_system_drawing.prg
gdiplusx_system_drawing_text.prg
gdiplusx_system.h
gdiplusx_system_io.prg
gdiplusx_system.prg
gdiplusx_system_user_sample.h
gdiplusx_system.vct
gdiplusx_system.vcx
gdiplusx_xpthemes.h

Carlos
Developer
Nov 24, 2007 at 3:12 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Developer
Nov 26, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Thanks for your valuable feedback, but I prefer to leave discussions in this area as long as possible before converting them to a work item. Mainly because the Discussions area allows for a more friendly discussion environment. (the Work Item area does not allow editing or deleting of comments, the Work Item area does not support markup which is very useful for code snippets, hyperlinks, etc...) Thanks
Developer
Nov 26, 2007 at 11:31 PM
We have had other request for renaming the files, but we are very fond of the current names. If we were to change them, I would prefer not to prefix them with "gdiplusx", mainly because this library could grow into much more than just the System.Drawing namespace. I would rather prefix everything with their namespace (or simulated namespace).

Another suggestion that we received, which I like very mich, is to just put all of these files into a project and build it as an APP. Then all the developer has to do is to distribute a single APP and make a call like "DO SYSTEM.APP" at the beginning of their application. You could even keep the latest version in the same Common Files folder along with the VFP run times and the REPORT*.APPs

If they don't like the name SYSTEM.APP, they can rename it to what ever they want and "DO" it.

Just my $.02. I would like to get other opinions on this though.
Nov 27, 2007 at 12:40 AM
Edited Nov 27, 2007 at 12:41 AM
I buy it !
System.App will be perfect.
Developer
Nov 27, 2007 at 4:25 PM
I still think it would be usefull to have a common file prefix, how about these then:

dncl = dot net class library
nc = net class
ncl = net class library
netcl = net class library
nfcl = net framework class library

Just using the MS terminology for these:

"MSDN -> MSDN Library -> .NET Development -> .NET Framework 3.5 -> .NET Framework Class Libary -> System.Drawing Namespace"

The main advantge of using a file prefix would be to identify easily which files belong to these classes. But following your rationale about naming the files according to their namespace, here is anothe view on the subject:

Since these classes are native to the NET Framework, of course the namespace "names" in NET do not include anything to indicate that they are NET Framework classes, that is implicit.

Being this a port of the NET Framework classes to VFP, it might be a good idea to specify the "full path" of the namespace, adding a prefix that indicates the NET Framework origin:

nfcl.system.drawing.prg

That looks OK to me, it sticks to your naming convention, and serves as an easy identifier for project files, and allows for easy future expansion.